Community discussions

MikroTik App

rumahnetmks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

MIKROTIK MiFi

Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:09 pm

I think Mikrotik should make MiFi device, based on minimum device like hAP-AC3 (or better CPU) which has build in modem LTE version 6++, but with only one WAN and one LAN (both gigabit OR 2.5G).
Why based hAP-AC3 because for wireless we need wifiwave2 both 2.4 and 5GHz (ROS v7). Or if can, better CPU for better wifi speed.
An USB port (better if USB3.0) for lte modem/smartphone usb tethering or external hdd.

I prefer this than buying other MIFI devices around if the price can be below USD60 at least....
Just hoping dev will think about it.

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: MIKROTIK MiFi

Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:58 pm

I think Mikrotik should make MiFi device, based on minimum device like hAP-AC3 (or better CPU) which has build in modem LTE version 6++, but with only one WAN and one LAN (both gigabit OR 2.5G).
Why based hAP-AC3 because for wireless we need wifiwave2 both 2.4 and 5GHz (ROS v7). Or if can, better CPU for better wifi speed.
An USB port (better if USB3.0) for lte modem/smartphone usb tethering or external hdd.

I prefer this than buying other MIFI devices around if the price can be below USD60 at least....
I have an audience with LTE, and if it werent for not having a battery, it would be exactly what you want.

rumahnetmks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 am

I have an audience with LTE, and if it werent for not having a battery, it would be exactly what you want.
I think Audience is overkill price and specs, maybe like hAP-AC3 LTE but with some parts removed. Reduced ethernet ports to just one WAN and one LAN. One USB3 for storage addition. Reduced device dimension. Just need MiFi for portable LTE or 5G modem plus Wifi5 with small size portable use, more secure since, hey its Mikrotik.
Internet can be reach through internal LTE/5G Modem inside, or by DHCP-client to WAN, sure it will be usefull for many case.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:19 am

Specifying your own product? What is the market potential?

Mix and match.

I wonder around with mAP Lite and powerbank. Modem stick separate.
The larger kit is "mAP Lite + hAP ac Lite + USB modem stick + MQS (for PoE) + powerbank"

mAP Lite is doing wifi connect to public wifi + VPN tunnels
Letting hAP ac Lite do all load balancing and other stuff. (Could do the mAP Lite stuff, but this uplink takes 1 radio)

Also look at LtAP for the (more expensive) integration.

rumahnetmks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:57 pm

Hmm. Just need simple just one device. All specs describe from the first post just suggestion for dev. As for today I see the new 'still mysterious' hAP ax2 device, excited to see from the small form factor but still its home router with many ports. What I dream is single+simple Mikrotik MIFI, a Mikrotik portable, battery-powered wireless device that taps into 3G, 4G or 5G mobile phone networks to create a mini broadband hotspot, in Mikrotik ways of course. Simply to put just like hapAC3-LTE but in reduced size, only 1WAN 1WAN, can be powered by powerbank...
Thx for advice, it just a suggestion for dev. Target customer for mobilty people that need internet mobile that secure in mikrotik ways.

heavenlyangel
just joined

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:21 am

Just use your phone

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:22 am

You essentially described wAP R ac which has 2 ethernet ports, wifi and pcie slot (for LTE card of your choice).
However rest of your requirements is oddly specific and unlikely to happen.

e.g. if you really need the USB, just look at hAP ac³ LTE6 kit. You can perhaps swap the LTE card for something better. It has all you need but has 3 extra ports. So what? Just don't use them. I never understood why some people "require" to have exact (low) amount of ports. When I need switch for 8 devices (which means 9 ports because there has to be also uplink) I wouldn't ask for 9 port switch. I wouldn't even bother with 10 or 12 port switches. Going with double (16 or 24) and futureproofing is the way.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:53 am

e.g. if you really need the USB, just look at hAP ac³ LTE6 kit. You can perhaps swap the LTE card for something better. It has all you need but has 3 extra ports. So what?
While I fully agree with what your saying here in general, don't dismiss the fact powering such a setup using batteries might be ... how shall I say... 'a challenge' :lol:

Personally I think most modern cell phones are quite well equipped to act as MIFI.
You could even use an older one and use it only for that purpose. A nice powerbank connected it and off we go...

rumahnetmks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:22 pm

Just use your phone
Ya for now I just use Mi6 as Mifi since its my old phone with some error but still have functional LTE modem.
I just dream if Mikrotik would build Mifi with specs mention before. Anyway ty for comment.
While I fully agree with what your saying here in general, don't dismiss the fact powering such a setup using batteries might be ... how shall I say... 'a challenge' :lol:
Personally I think most modern cell phones are quite well equipped to act as MIFI.
You could even use an older one and use it only for that purpose. A nice powerbank connected it and off we go...
Cant agree more. Right now I just use my phone as I mention up this comment, Mi6 with Snapdragon830, which is LTE v13 if I dont get wrong. But still for daily basis mobile online it seems I push the limit break of my phone, always be hotspot tethering mode to provide us Internet.
Thats why I dream for Mikrotik Mifi....
You essentially described wAP R ac which has 2 ethernet ports, wifi and pcie slot (for LTE card of your choice).
However rest of your requirements is oddly specific and unlikely to happen.

e.g. if you really need the USB, just look at hAP ac³ LTE6 kit. You can perhaps swap the LTE card for something better. It has all you need but has 3 extra ports. So what? Just don't use them. I never understood why some people "require" to have exact (low) amount of ports. When I need switch for 8 devices (which means 9 ports because there has to be also uplink) I wouldn't ask for 9 port switch. I wouldn't even bother with 10 or 12 port switches. Going with double (16 or 24) and futureproofing is the way.
For 2 ethernet only why important because its only for Mifi purpose, no need many ethernet ports because its for portable use, not a full home router that need many ethernets ports. I like the idea for WAP R AC that mentioned but for the dimension not a catch for this portable use, and no need to have POE thingy there. Else is OK but if can cpu can be upgrade version than IPQ-4018.
USB is a must I think, since it a portable Mifi we need it for additional things like additional storage for sharing wirelessly while working outside using mobile LTE internet, in Mikrotik way of handling network. I would use with more confident than just use regular Mifi products.

Ty for all comments.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:04 am

have you had a look at the ltap mini? for a mifi device I think it would be perfect as you can power it via the 5v usb jack as well as it is small enough to fit in your pocket.
Couple issues, only 2.4ghz wireless, fast ethernet port and a single core cpu running around 650mhz, if that's not a deal breaker definitely check that model out
https://mikrotik.com/product/ltap_mini

For a solution you have to build yourself, mikrotik do have naked routerboards that looks like it could suit your needs (m11g) but none of them can run on 5v like the ltap can so you would need not only a usb to dc/poe converter but also a way to step up the voltage to at least 8-10v depending on what board you go with.
If you can work that out I think it would be a fun exercise to build a case and all that so you could potentially just have it mounted on the back of your laptop or have something where it can hook onto your bag etc.

gdanov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:57 pm

just buy a smartphone with bigger battery.

rumahnetmks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 am

Ya as I mention before at post #9, I've use old Mi6 for tethering, but what I need I prefer behind Mikrotik. Anyway ty for comment.

The new Mikrotik hapAX2 seems good one, have compact size, wifi6 but unfortunately no USB (for modem or tethering via smartphone).
I prefer like this model, just reduce some gigabit ports or just convert it to one 2.5G WAN and one 2.5G LAN.
Add M2 slot inside for 4G/5G Card it will be futureproof long term device.
Ah.. wake up, it just a dream :D