Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hyperlight
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request - VRRP with L3HW Offload

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:56 am

Hi All,

Hope this is the right place to post this request. I have on order a set of new crs518-16xs-2xq. I would love these two new devices to be be able to take over the network core of my setup from a pure l3 routing perspective. The lack of a high availability L3 gateway failover is my final stumbling block. Currently according to documentation I cannot use L3HW with VRRP, without VRRP i cannot replace my current L3 router core (Cisco 3750E Stack).

Putting in a couple of devices such as the new CCR2216 to handle default gateway failover for connected subnets seems really inefficient. Not to mention burning up 4 SFP28 ports.

I have also looked at netwatch to add/remove IP addresses, but that means waiting for OS level ARP timeouts:
/ip address add address=10.0.0.1/24 interface=VLAN10
/ip address remove [find address="10.0.0.1/24"]

If there are any other options I have not considered please reply.

mfedotov
just joined

Re: Feature Request - VRRP with L3HW Offload

Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:12 pm

When dealing with the same limitation I created a vrrp on a separate vlan, and within its onmaster/onbackup scripts I create/delete the default gateways on all the actual data vlans...
I also use a script to send garp packets and hopefully reduce the impact (which I shared on the forum).
Seems to work for me, not entirely transparent as vrrp would be, but a disruption of a couple of seconds is okay for my home lab use...