Community discussions

MikroTik App

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

LTE Modems: Safe for frequent/abrupt power loss?

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:22 am

Are the LtAP (and most 12-57v MikroTik devices in general) safe to have power shut off and turned on frequently and abruptly? Like you'd get in a vehicle-mounted device, wired to start/stop when the vehicle is started/stopped?

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: LTE Modems: Safe for frequent/abrupt power loss?

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:59 am

In a professional, industry grade install, you have a small battery for buffering, to shut down gracefully in case of power loss.
When using in a vehicle, this also will take care of power fluctuations, especially during start up of the engine.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:08 am

I have a LtAP but for my house as you can see on my signature. It is protected by an UPS, but anyway sometimes it gets down when I have no light on my house. But, until now, no problems with my LtAP.

Now, I know that LtAP was designed for vehicular applications.

Regards.

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:42 am

In a professional, industry grade install, you have a small battery for buffering, to shut down gracefully in case of power loss.
When using in a vehicle, this also will take care of power fluctuations, especially during start up of the engine.
I suppose i understand that, but what if the vehicle doesn't get driven for extended periods of time? At 5 watts continuous, a 30ah battery would be completely drained in a few days.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:21 am

" ... shut down gracefully ..." means something like "shutdown" or "halt" to the device. And then, to switch off power to the device, like pulling the plug.
As I read, MTs _should_ withstand abrupt power cut, but I am coming from industrial environments with high reliability requirements, not to take a risk.
Especially, in case of a fleet of devices, operated remotely, or in harsh environments.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:51 am

I suppose i understand that, but what if the vehicle doesn't get driven for extended periods of time? At 5 watts continuous, a 30ah battery would be completely drained in a few days.
You didn't understand the "small battery for buffering, to shut down gracefully in case of power loss" part, the battery (not the car battery) doesn't keep it running for days, it keeps it running for a few minutes in case you restart the engine and after x minutes without main power it tells the device to shut itself off. The last part you have to work on it a little, but not impossible.

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:08 am

You didn't understand the "small battery for buffering, to shut down gracefully in case of power loss" part, the battery (not the car battery) doesn't keep it running for days, it keeps it running for a few minutes in case you restart the engine and after x minutes without main power it tells the device to shut itself off. The last part you have to work on it a little, but not impossible.
So then I'd assume there's some kind of small networked controller that talks back to the router that runs a shut down script or something? Otherwords, how does the battery tell the device to shut itself off?