Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Should I switch my APs from Ubiquiti to MT

Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:42 pm

I'm a big fan of Mikrotik and have been using them for years, but I have always had Ubqiuiti APs. I have 4, one in the house, 2 in 2 sheds and one on the roof of the house to do outside. I wanted to switch to MT for various reasons but have read a lot of bad stuff about their wifi on the forums. What's everyone think, is MT as good as Ubiquiti yet? All APs are wired.

To give more details, I want to run a device in station bridge at my front gate so I can run a security camera, automatic gate, lights etc there. Ubiquiti don't have the wide input voltage of mikrotik so MT is the obvious choice. I can run EoIP back to the ubiquiti but I just thought it might be easier going with all MT

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Should I switch my APs from Ubiquiti to MT

Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:42 pm

I have two "places" that have almost the same number of Wi-Fi points. In both "places" there are external and internal access points. Option from Ubiquiti - it's set up once and forgot. But the version from MT - is associated with a constant "struggle". IMHO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:09 pm

I have two "places" that have almost the same number of Wi-Fi points. In both "places" there are external and internal access points. Option from Ubiquiti - it's set up once and forgot. But the version from MT - is associated with a constant "struggle". IMHO.
I have no complaints with Ubiquiti, it's been running for years with no faults at all. Only issue was a cable to one AP. Might be better not to fix something that isn't broken. It's annoying they are adding features like docker containers while still not fixing wifi issues.

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:24 pm

It's annoying they are adding features like docker containers while still not fixing wifi issues.
A very useful thing for me for a future project of a new network is a Unifi Controller in a container on MT router. :lol:

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:28 pm

It's annoying they are adding features like docker containers while still not fixing wifi issues.
A very useful thing for me for a future project of a new network is a Unifi Controller in a container on MT router. :lol:
Why would you pay that much more for the router board to run that crap you could put on a cloud key for less???

And as much as I can't stand UniF--k and more specifically UNIF--KERS... if we are talking about basic radio performance... I have to give it to the UniF--k line.

I avoid Tik and Ubnt for WiFi. Much better results from other vendors.

But when it comes down to my routing... its a Tik... across hundreds of installs.

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:40 pm

Why would you pay that much more for the router board to run that crap you could put on a cloud key for less???
At this time, for most installations, I don't plan to purchase anything other, than the RB5009UG+S+IN. Therefore, why not try connecting a USB flash drive. And don't try run a container on there.

Please, share your options. For reasonable money.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:49 am

And as much as I can't stand UniF--k and more specifically UNIF--KERS... if we are talking about basic radio performance... I have to give it to the UniF--k line.
For years I've been saying I dislike Unifi because it's very Apple like. Recently I read an article and found out the company was started by a group of disgruntled apple employees. I'm not against a slick GUI but this is network equipment, features should come first. At least they didn't adopt the apple culture of hobbling devices after 2 years.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:03 pm

At this time, for most installations, I don't plan to purchase anything other, than the RB5009UG+S+IN. Therefore, why not try connecting a USB flash drive. And don't try run a container on there.

Please, share your options. For reasonable money.
Invariably, over time, I always see the UniF--k controller fail. Whether it be mongoDB or something else. I don't care as I don't deal with UniF--k anymore. If a company I work with insists on it... I will point the DNS towards their server. But I won't spend 10 seconds trouble shooting ANYTHING ON THE WIFI.

This rigid attitude has lead to systems that run with ZERO MAINTENANCE FOR YEARS AT A TIME.
(Particularly once they give up and take out the UniF--k WAPs and put in something I know works.)

As for reason able prices...
That question doesn't make any sense to me.

If the solution you have doesn't work... It's not a solution.

Things cost what they cost and sometimes you can't "cheap out and still get by".

But for reference...
Had an install that had another vendor 'had to put in UniF--k". The agreement was that they could not remove the existing system. They spent several weeks trying to get the UniF--k system to work in an INCREDIBLY noisy, crowded wifi environment. They got fired.

Next crew came in... Tried the same thing... Got the same results.

3rd vendor came in and went down the same path. After a few weeks they told me they were about to get fired. I told them to unplug their WAPs and I put their Wifi on my existing system.

System started working.

After a few weeks, we had a meeting to discuss. I explained what I saw before and how we "added it to our existing".

The vendor got a little fiesty and decided he wanted to fight. I have no idea what he was thinking...
Vendor : "We have put this system in hundreds of time and it always worked."
Me : "So what... This place is really tough... I went through several wifi manufacturers before I got to these. But they work. None of the others did."
Vendor : "Well how much did those cost!"
Me : "like $1800."
Vendor : "You don't know?"
Me : "well I don't remember the exact price. But the issue is who gives a F--k! Your solution didn't work. This one does. That's not a comparison. You really have nothing to stand on."
Vendor : "Well you spent so much more... Or at least you think you did..."
Me : "Hey a$$hole... I don't recall the price because those access points have been here for 8 years!"

Thats right... Brand new UniF--k was bested by 8 year old devices from another manufacturer.

So back to my prior point... "It doesn't matter what it costs, if it doesn't work!"

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:42 pm

talking about Wi-Fi, many times the problem is more about bad design and implementation than vendor specific issues

the same apply with almost everything like switches and routers

first key factor is having solid fundamentals and knowledge in technology in particular such as Wi-Fi, switching and/or routing

then equally important is having solid fundamentals and knowledge of the functionalities and especially the limitations of the specific vendor

is like when you are selecting a switch of course you have to know what is capable of, but is most important to investigate what is not capable of or limitations of available features

In the real world, the shortcomings in these aspects added to the commercial interests of those who offer the solution lead to the disasters that we are used to seeing more and more frequently.

but of course, no one is going to accept that it is his fault, the easy way is to blame the vendor

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:58 pm

... So back to my prior point... "It doesn't matter what it costs, if it doesn't work!" ...
The story you describe is certainly interesting. Another supplier ... I asked you to answer - what other (not MT or UniF) supplier of Wi-Fi equipment do you specifically recommend.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:49 pm

..the limitations of the specific vendor.
That's the whole point.

I have found again and again... The limits of Mikrotik wireless have been the problem in too many systems.

Mikrotik did finally "man up" and and tell us that there was nothing they could do. The problem was "my environments" (aka: where I needed the wireless to work) So we paid to replace them where we could. As the customer complaining was costing us thousands in support, and it was allowing our competition to point directly to poorly performing projects.

Had to spend a lot of money and replace things out of pocket... But now we are back to providing the quality experience our customers expect, and rightly deserve.

It's also made me a lot more vigilant in my testing, before even considering putting a new product or line in our installs.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:52 pm

You're still not answering the question ...

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:13 pm

Yes, pure talker about nothing.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:24 pm

No you should not switch … Ubiquiti are excellent AP’s …. If you want another suggestion TP-Link EAP245 or EAP660HD are outstanding AP’s.

The only MT wireless device I do at times suggest is the Audiance other than that the othe Tik AP’s suck.

Unifi is a system … so to exploite that system everything should be Unifi …. If you are wondering what Unifi stands for … Unified wireless infrastructure —- where all the pieces work together intelligently.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:27 pm

You're still not answering the question ...
Admin gets mad when I mention "Ruckus Wireless is the solution we have had to stick too."

Despite having to try everything we can get our hands on.

We keep looking for a CHEAPER Solution.

We really loved how caps-man worked for monitoring, deployment, and configuration. It was the "actually serving client devices" that cost us.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:47 am

Thats right... Brand new UniF--k was bested by 8 year old devices from another manufacturer.
Is that because the older devices are slower and that potentially makes them more robust?

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:48 am

Unifi is a system … so to exploite that system everything should be Unifi
That's one of the things I don't like about it. If you just use their APs you feel like you're using half a system

I should add, I have no interference issues. My nearest neighbour is 100m away and I've never seen anyone else's SSIDs. The ubiquiti stuff has worked perfectly for me for years

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:59 am

I am waiting for wifi6 from MT, then will learn capsman.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 am

"Waiting for GOOD WiFi6 from MT..."

I cleaned that up for you.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 am

Hahaha, I am assuming they will not muck it with proprietary drivers..................... but I take your point.

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:47 am

It should have been a long time ago to write what you need. :lol:

hAP AX2 (WiFi 6)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:58 am

It should have been a long time ago to write what you need. :lol:

hAP AX2 (WiFi 6)
Question remains: will it work with capsman ?

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:08 pm

Question remains: will it work with capsman ?

Given, that now the WAVE2 package is only for devices with 256 MB of RAM. Most likely some new version of CAPsMAN will appear. With support exclusively for new devices. For example - Wi-Fi 6 is only for devices with 1GB of RAM. And only for such devices the new version of CAPsMAN.

To be honest, for most users, Wi-Fi 5 would be enough. If its implementation was normally brought to mind in Mikrotik devices.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:27 pm

Invariably, over time, I always see the UniF--k controller fail. Whether it be mongoDB or something else.
Probably those "cloud key" boxes? I run the controller as a VMware Linux VM and I have never seen it fail.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:10 pm

Hey gotsprings........ who knows!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPKUDvNyjM

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:44 pm

Invariably, over time, I always see the UniF--k controller fail. Whether it be mongoDB or something else.
Probably those "cloud key" boxes? I run the controller as a VMware Linux VM and I have never seen it fail.
Amazon AWS setups.
Microsoft servers
Debain Servers
Cloud Keys too.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:52 pm

Hey gotsprings........ who knows!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPKUDvNyjM
Ohh I will get one to BEAT THE $%!+ out of it. I usually have to get new devices to put on the bench.

See i don't just shout from the stands... "Uhhh it sucks!"
I actually use things and try to get manufactures to fix things. Once that fails... then it turns into "Here is what's wrong. Here is how you reproduce it. The manufacture can't / won't fix it. I have or don't have a work around."

But after enough time... you just wanna get to the point... "Its not good enough!"

Would I love for the hAP ax2 to be the "only piece I need for routing and wireless", ABSOF--KINGLOOTLY!
DO I have much faith in the idea that the hAP AX2 will come out of the gate properly functioning... not really.

The on going issues with the CRS354s
The 2 messed up ports on RB1200s
etc etc etc

I always bring home new gear because "I gotta know!"
What I don't do is turn my clients in Guinea Pigs!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 pm

Hmm who will get one first Mozerd or Gotsprings LOL