Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ro88an
just joined
Topic Author

Suggestion for 2,5Gb/s network

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:50 pm

I need suggestions for what to buy to set up a local network running at 2.5Gb/s or faster.
That is, I want interconnection between all my wired devices at speeds higher than 1 Gb/s.

This is in a home setting, in a house having computers in office rooms, a couple of media/game rooms and more. All rooms are wired.

My internet connection @ 1Gb/s up/down is right now connected to an older Asus router (RT-AC3200) at the WAN port, this sits in a utility room where the network converge and fiber enters the house. I do not use the present routers wireless functions as I have wired access points throughout.

The hardware I got so far is just a TRENDnet TEG-S380 switch (with 8 ports @ 2.5Gb/s) and a couple of computers with nics @ 2.5 Gb/s or more. This is now used just within the main office.

What I think I need is a new router with support for 2.5 Gb/s or faster for the local network (and 1 Gb/s or faster for the internet connection). Preferably the router has a built in switch where all ports support my speed requirements, or if there is another way to sett thing up. The router do not need wireless.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

zandor
just joined

Re: Suggestion for 2,5Gb/s network

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:19 am

I'm not aware of any routers with a bunch of 2.5Gb ports. You could kind of make one with MikroTik gear, but you'd have to get a router with a bunch of SFP+ ports and put S+RJ10 modules in each port you wanted to use with cat5e/6/6a/8 cabling. That's a bunch of $. US list price (I'm in the US so that's what I get on the web site) is $65 each for S+RJ10s and $595 for a CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS though you'd have multiple router options if you want to spend more. That's overkill for a 1Gb Internet connection.

I'd just buy 2.5Gb+ switches and a router that can handle your 1Gb internet connection unless you want to route between networks/VLANs. If you're planning multiple subnets you'll want a faster uplink between the switch in the utility room and your router. An RB4011 or RB5009 would work well in most home setups for that situation. Both have an SFP+ port, so you can connect them to switch with an SFP+ DAC cable, fiber, or stuff one of those $65 S+RJ10 modules in the SFP plus port and talk to a 1,2.5,5 or 10Gb port over cat5e/6/6a/8.