Community discussions

MikroTik App

AzDsL
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

MT Hotspot via VLAN with TP-Link EAP225 Outdoor (wifi mesh using Omada Software Controller)

Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 am

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone here abled to use TP-Link's Omada Software Controller to remotely manage its APs? The Omada Controller requires the APs (at least the root/main AP) to be connected to the internet to be able to manage them.
I created the hotspot server in MT on VLAN and sends traffic to the remote site via Ubiquiti PtP radio then to PON and finally to a Huawei HG8145V5 ONT modem/router. Hotspot users have successfully logged-in via the built-in WLAN of Huawei ONT.

Now, I need to extend the wifi signal coverage of the hotspot using multiple TP-Link EAP225 (mesh set-up) and remotely manage all APs via Omada Software Controller.
My problem is how am I going to connect those APs (or at least the main/root AP) to the internet? (Omada Cotroller needs the AP connected to tte internet to be able to manage them)

My set-up under test is this:

Huawei ONT WAN set to bridge mode with VLAN enabled and set PVID to the same PVID of MT Hotspot server.
I connected one of the TP-Link EAP225 (as main/root AP) to one of the ethernet ports of the Huawei ONT.
This set-up works (users can successfully log-in to the hotspot log-in page via TP-Link SSID)
BUT the Omada Software Controller cannot detect the APs because none of the APs are connected to the internet.

My question is how can I connect the TP-Link APs to the internet and at the same time be able to connect to the VLAN of the Hotspot?

Main Objective: be able to manage the TP Link APs via its own Omada Software Controller but leave the Hotspot service managed via Mikrotik.

This set-up might be so easy to most of you here, but for a newbie like me with little networking experience, it's a bit challenging.

Your generous help will always be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.