Community discussions

MikroTik App

rebuilder86
just joined
Topic Author

HOW TO - Use burst time to favour web page loading over youtube/file transfers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:30 am

I understand how burst time works, i understand the concepts but no matter waht i do i cant find myself in a position happy enough with my knowledge or if to be comfortable that its doing what I think its doing and doing what i want.

I have a RB3011 with about 30 customers, of which about 10 are small homes with 3 or 4 cell phonesbehind cheap routers which i give about 5-10 mbps to depending one what number of devices they have, and then charge accordingly.

Im trying to use the burst function sensibly, so that i can rest assured im giving these people the abilty to do online shopping, super fast, but only if their daughters and sons are hammering youtube at the same time. See if i jstu give hte household a flat 10 mbps, then the kids wll use 10 mbps absolutely constantly non stop. so im trying to slow down the youtube, and help wiht web page loading.

Perhasp this is not the best approach, but in all my research of burst queues, in my very inexperienced opinion it seems like a good use case and a good way to make little things faster.

What im doing now is, ju st a few examples,
a. for a single user household, where they pay us chips for 4 mbps,I give them 4 Mbps, but burst to 10Mbps provided that the 5 second average is below 2 Mbps.
b. for a 2 user household, where they pay us a few more chips for 6 mbps, its 6 Mbps, but burst to 10 Mbps provided that the 5 second average is below 4 Mbps
c. for a 4 user household, where they pay us 3.5 times the cost of a 1 user, its 8 Mbps, but burst to 12 Mbps provided that the 5 second average is below 5 Mbps

I have nothing but the traffic monitor to watch to see how this performs, and i wonder if anyone has experinece and confidence in this to give some direction.