Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

wave2/ax drivers and mesh/wds/etc

Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:46 pm

There was a comment buried in another post about work being done on the mac format needed to support meshing.

So now that new 'ax devices have been announced, this is a key factor to replace the likes of plumes and eeros etc with hAP ax2 and other yet-to-be announced 'ax models.

When can we see some mesh tech compatible with the 'ax drivers for this hardware?

Yes, it's better to wire up, but that's very often not an option and WiFi6 really changes the game for mesh setups.

We absolutely love Mikrotik/routeros for this role but the old wireless drivers really let us down. The wave2 driver is great, but it can't mesh with WDS or anything so can't actually fill this role for us.

I would love to see anything from a simple WDS implementation that I can use the existing mesh implementation on or a 'proper' 802.11s or really anything to get meshing live.

Thanks.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Re: wave2/ax drivers and mesh/wds/etc

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:00 pm

crickets...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:09 pm

Your post requires comment/answer from MT staff. This hardly ever happens for such "strategic" questions. To increase chance of getting any answer (luckily it will be a meaningful) you better ask it through official support channels (such as e-mail to support@mikrotik.com).

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:08 am

just bumping this.

lack of a mesh capable ax hardware is really limiting and keeps me on other wireless gear.

Atanas
just joined

Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:14 pm

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... edexamples
Lost features
The following notable features of the bundled wireless package do not yet have equivalents in the wifiwave2 package
  • Station-bridging or other 4-address modes
    Nstreme and Nv2 wireless protocols
May be that's why the WifiWave2 is deployed as extra package and cannot effectively substitute Wireless.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:57 pm

Legacy wifi was largely in-house development so MT could more or less do with it what they wanted.
Wifiwave2 is largely based on drivers from chip supplier. Less flexibility.

Did anyone bother to ask the question to support if it will ever be added again ?
They don't read all threads here on the forum.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:05 pm

mikrotik has stated, I believe somewhere in the forums but also in direct corrispondence that they have it in the works. I don't know the details of it, but the hardware and drivers support wds and 802.11s.

I'm just hoping that 'soon' hit they dropped a month or so back is a wifi6 based outdoor wireless kit. or an updated line of 'ay gear... or really a number of cool things they might do haha.