Community discussions

MikroTik App

clorichel
just joined
Topic Author

Default admin password after reset is not empty

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:47 pm

Hey ✌️

I'm running into a weird issue with an hAP (RB951U1-2nDc3). While working on auto-provisioning it, I scp'ed my autoprovision.rsc file to admin@192.168.88.1:flash/ (without password, as usual for a new router), then ssh'ed in (with no password, again) and ran this:

/system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes skip-backup=yes run-after-reset=flash/autoprovision.rsc

After some time, without an IP assigned on a local ether port, I decided it didn't work. Lucky me, the script is logging stuff to flash (it's a modified version of https://github.com/joncutrer/perfectrestore) so I can read what went wrong out there. As I did a few (thousand) times in the past, I did reset the router, like described here https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset holding the reset switch until light is flashing.

Usually, a few seconds later, the router is back to 192.168.88.1 and I get a DHCP lease from that network. Indeed, I did get 192.168.88.30. Problem being: admin user has a password 🙃 and now this router won't let me in: tried resetting again (and again) with no luck at all 😞

Is there anything I missed ? As in any kind of bug or loophole that wouldn't clear out the password in some conditions when the router is reset with the reset button?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Default admin password after reset is not empty

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:24 pm

use netinstall

clorichel
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Default admin password after reset is not empty

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:02 pm

use netinstall
I was afraid one would say that 🙃 Sound like the looooooong way when the simple "reset" button should just do the trick, should'nt it? 😬

Mac M1 user here: tried netinstall for windows through brew wine-stable : the whole thing is launching fine, but router is never showing up on the window panel...

Backed up to netinstall on an actual linux server, not sure the documentation is complete so I tried plugging in directly ethernet2ethernet with a fixed IP as described on the Windows part with no luck, which is weird because client MAC is detected but then it "fails to send to client". Then I switched back to DHCP, plugged the faulty MikroTik to some other ethernet port of the local switch and the netinstall actually worked like on the doc screenshot (client > sending > discovered > formatting > sendingPackage > reboot).

Sadly, no luck on my admin password 😅

So I redid the linux netinstall with -r option, and I'm now back on track! Thanks for your help ❤️