Community discussions

MikroTik App

ZagatoZee
just joined
Topic Author

Select Android apps routed to VPN?

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:54 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a total noob with Router OS (was given a mAP lite to mess about with) and figure it is best asked before purchasing any additional hardware (contemplating the ax2 when it becomes available here).

Basically what I'm hoping to be able to do, is have select Android apps - tv channel streaming ones in particular on an NVidia Shield - be sent via an Open VPN connection to another country, while leaving the rest of traffic from that device alone (Plex, YouTube, Netflix etc).

Is that possible with Router OS? I understand sending all traffic from the shield to the Vpn connection is simple, but select apps only?

Is it possible to have a few Open VPN connections setup and have certain apps sent to one connection, and others to another? (AU or UK OVpns for eg?)

If this is possible, are there any guides around that can help me get going with this kind of intended setup?

Hardware setup I'm expecting .
ISP modem in bridge mode -> Mikrotik hAP ax2 -> NVidia Shield TV Pro -> TV

ZagatoZee
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Select Android apps routed to VPN?

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:17 am

Update for anyone finding this later:

Turns out I don't need to do any of this via my mikrotik hardware since the Android Open VPN client that is running on the NVidia Shield, has a handy section to define which apps can ignore the VPN connection.

Tick the apps on the device that can access the internet from "this country" and leave un-selected the ones that should use the VPN and it is an always on, always working way to fix the issue I (thought I) had.