Community discussions

MikroTik App

nzfarmer
just joined
Topic Author

PTMP Setup help please!

Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi, new here. I have just received 1 x Mikrotik NetMetal ac² Dual Band 802.11ac Outdoor Access Point and 1 x MikroTik OmniTik 5GHz ac Outdoor Access Point. Using a MARS 4.9-5.9GHz Dual Polarization Omni Directional Antenna on the NetMetal, im trying to configure a PTMP private network on our farm to eventually link/network multiple sheds back to the house.
I have started with just the 1 station (MikroTik OmniTik 5GHz ac) for testing purposes for now.

Im looking for some help in configuring these for PTMP. I will eventually add multiple MikroTik OmniTik 5GHz ac to more sheds.
I have a dangerous amount of knowledge and can fumble my way through most things with a background in basic networking in my past life.
I have used winbox to find devices and familiarized myself with the device menus.

AP to station distance for test device is 400m no obstructions on same horizontal plane. Future stations will be similar in nature give or take 100m with clear line of site from the Netmetal/house.
Very low amount of traffic will be used on the PTMP network.

I have been told the MikroTik OmniTik 5GHz ac can run as a WAP and router for hardwired devices at the same time while in PTMP configuration. This would be my preferred setup, but am happy just to have the ability to add hardwired devices to the stations.
I hope i have offered enough information of my required setup for someone to help me through AP & station settings to get me going.