Community discussions

MikroTik App

martinvox
just joined
Topic Author

Can't configure RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN in the same network as my ISP router

Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:44 pm

Hello everyone ! I've been trying to get my new router RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN in the same ip range and settings as my ISP one. The router from the ISP, has the default gateway to 192.168.100.1
So, the issue is that I can't access my PC over

Whenever I want to configure the routerOS to be in the same range, I don't have internet access. So far, I tried:

Setting the bridge from IP -> address list to this:

Address: 192.168.100.1/24
Network: 192.168.100.0

Setting the DHCP Server in the network tab to this:

Address: 192.168.100.0/24
Gateway: 192.168.100.8

The IP Pool to 192.168.100.10-192.168.88.254

I'm using Cloduflare DNS too on the router

If I leave everything default, it works, but my PC is on 192.168.88.x and everything else, including TV, Phones, and other devices are in 192.168.100.x. If I want to share a movie via network to my TV, I can't do it because the TV can't find my shared folders.

Is there something that I'm missing ? Thanks !

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't configure RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN in the same network as my ISP router

Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:49 pm

Are you sure you want a router and not just switch? The point of router is to route packets between different subnets.

martinvox
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:16 pm

Are you sure you want a router and not just switch? The point of router is to route packets between different subnets.
Ehhh, I don't get the question. I got this router as a gift and taking advantage of the situation to learn. Is it possible what I want to do ? Or each router needs to be in their own subnet ?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:45 pm

So martin, the right answer is forget about the equipment, what you need to do is articulate your requirements.

What is it that you want
a. users or groups of users on your network to be able to do or not do (including you the admin)
b. provide a network diagram of what equipment you have and notionally how they would be connected.
c. the config once you have started and then need help.

IN this case none of that is clear. All you have is an ISP router that is or isnt working for you and thats why you are interjecting another device.
Is their a valid reason to add the MT. Can you replace your ISP router with the MT, or is it really a modem/router combined.
Can it provide a bridged public IP or does it only give you a private IP address.

Way to early to start configuring anything

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:01 pm

It's a nice gift, you can have lot of fun with it, use it to learn many new things, eventually replace ISP router with it, anything you want.

But if I understand correctly that right now you're keeping ISP router and connecting RB behing it and you need all other devices in same subnet, then it will be more an unnecessary obstacle than help. If those devices need to communicate directly, then the best thing to have between them is nothing, or something completely transparent. This router can work like this too, using integrated switch. But then it will be, well, switch. And it won't help you to learn about routing.

If you want to experiment with routing, then connect this router as another device to existing subnet, and then on another port add another subnet for testing. There you can connect some device that doesn't need direct communication with others, and play with that.

martinvox
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:39 pm

So martin, the right answer is forget about the equipment, what you need to do is articulate your requirements.

What is it that you want
a. users or groups of users on your network to be able to do or not do (including you the admin)
b. provide a network diagram of what equipment you have and notionally how they would be connected.
c. the config once you have started and then need help.

IN this case none of that is clear. All you have is an ISP router that is or isnt working for you and thats why you are interjecting another device.
Is their a valid reason to add the MT. Can you replace your ISP router with the MT, or is it really a modem/router combined.
Can it provide a bridged public IP or does it only give you a private IP address.

Way to early to start configuring anything
Sadly I can't replace the ISP router. I wish I can, but not possible. I even have to pay if I want to have it in bridge mode... It's a mess down here in Argentina. If I want to open any port, I have to call the ISP. What I wanted to do, is connect the MT router to the ISP router and have it all under the same subnet, but I see that I'm making an unnecessary mess.

martinvox
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:40 pm

It's a nice gift, you can have lot of fun with it, use it to learn many new things, eventually replace ISP router with it, anything you want.

But if I understand correctly that right now you're keeping ISP router and connecting RB behing it and you need all other devices in same subnet, then it will be more an unnecessary obstacle than help. If those devices need to communicate directly, then the best thing to have between them is nothing, or something completely transparent. This router can work like this too, using integrated switch. But then it will be, well, switch. And it won't help you to learn about routing.

If you want to experiment with routing, then connect this router as another device to existing subnet, and then on another port add another subnet for testing. There you can connect some device that doesn't need direct communication with others, and play with that.
Thank you for the clarification !! I'll figure out the best solution then, thanks again !

martinvox
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:12 am

Well... I just had to enable SMB on routerOS :)

THANK YOU EVERYONE, now my shitty android tv can actually see my shared folders. Thank you all :)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 am

That sounds... weird. I guess I didn't understand what exactly you're doing.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:39 pm

Which is the point,, without understanding, no real advice can be provided................

martinvox
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:47 pm

That sounds... weird. I guess I didn't understand what exactly you're doing.
I jumped to conclusions pretty quickly. I thought SMB worked because I had to setup the smb manually on it but it was just a few seconds of a random cache showing up.

What I did to fix the issue, is setup the Router as a CAP, so this way I can use the DNS of my choice and configure it as my liking and just using the crappy router that the ISP gave me as a "fake bridge".

I'm still waiting on a wifi 6 AP in order to use that one so I have wifi on my whole house, but this is what I did to fix it temporarily. Thanks everyone !