Community discussions

MikroTik App

ohmmgg
just joined
Topic Author

User manager vs omada portal?

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:47 pm

English is not my first language so forgive my grammatically or volcabuarily incorrect. My set-up is like this ; Wan side:3 line from 3 isp 1GB/500MB each all load balancing and backing up one another and Lan side 75 of tp-link eap115 access points and 55 of tp-link eap225 access point and 10 eap225 outdoors all connected in the same subnet and controlled by OC200 controller. now, i'm using tp-link ER-5120 that give me only one subnet so i set it to 255.255.254.0 or 23 which offers about 500+ ip addresses. The number of wifi users is expected to be 200 at the most and the amount of access points in total is 140. The dhcp server of tp-link router can handle the number of ip quite well. all these r in apartment complex that have 3 buildings; about a thousand studio unit, so the access point r mostly in the hallway and a few outdoor accesspoint for tenants to connect when using in the bathroom as they locate on the outside of the building for ventilation without using duct fan

However, i want to improve the security and efficiency of this network by setting up 3 vlan for management, my staffs, and wifi-user. Mikrotik router is the solution within my budget according to my research. For certainty of implementation, i set up the lab with rb2011, tough switch poe 8 ports and 2 eap 225 and omada software on windows pc. My training for configuration works out ok after a few trial and error. I tried both omada hotspot with voucher authentication and mikrotik user manager. even though omada is more user friendly, UM got the upper hand for versatility as it can be used with any brand of access point. what i want to is that for the real circumstance i mention earlier (140 accesspoints and 180 users max) which is likely to benefit me more: Omada portal or Mikrotik User Manager and which mikrotik router should i use that can provide stability and utilize the full speed of my combined bandwidth of 3/1.5 Gbps? Im new to this forum and hello y'll. best of luck. peace.

kvee

Re: User manager vs omada portal?

Mon May 29, 2023 7:35 pm

From this page ( https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... cense+keys ) It said Mikrotik RouterOS level 5 supported 50 active sessions, this means you have to use level 6 which is unlimited.

I'm never use that before, I have just rb2011xxx which is just level 5. But..
From their products page ( https://mikrotik.com/products/group/ethernet-routers ) the CCR series should be good for you.
For example CCR2004-16G-2S+PC compare to RB1100AHx4. Both are lv 6 but CCR have higher performance on CPU, RAM, and better test results.