Community discussions

MikroTik App

thethington
just joined
Topic Author

Transparent Wireless bridge with OpenWRT router

Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:04 pm

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Mikrotik hAP ac² and I would like to use it to create a transparent wireless bridge with an OpenWRT router.

The OpenWRT router is connected to my ISP, and providers internet access to household devices on 192.168.0.0/24.

I have a few devices in my home office that need a wired connection, but I cannot currently run a cable from the home office to the primary router. So, to get around that I've been using another OpenWRT router to create a transparent wireless bridge by configuring it as a WDS client, so devices plugged in to the secondary router can receive dhcp leases from the primary router.

I'd like to swap out the secondary OpenWrt router for my Mikrotik hAP, but as I'm new to Mikrotik & RouterOS I wanted to get some advice on the best way to do it. I've searched the wiki, and this forum, but still haven't found clarity on which mode to use for my situation - station, station-wds, wds-slave or other.

I do intend to use other functionality on this device using VLANs, etc. but for now I just want to get the transparent bridge aspect working. What is the recommended way to set things up in 2022?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Transparent Wireless bridge with OpenWRT router

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:24 pm

Mixing vendors over wireless bridges is a crapshoot you are better off sticking to another openwrt device is my opinion.