Community discussions

MikroTik App

petrosilius
just joined
Topic Author

RBGroove52HPn - TX Power cant be set >17dbm

Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi everyone,

we bought two RBGroove52HPn for a long range link over the open sea in international waters. We use a RBM11G plus a R11e-2HPnD as accesspoint. The RB11G is configured as accesspoint in the US and we can set the txpower to >27 dBm in the advanced wireless interface.

Setting the output power on the Groove 52 HPn to the maximum values (e.g. 27dbm) of the datasheet is not working as proposed https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGroove52HPnr2. If we try to set the txpower to 27 dBm in the "all-rates-fixed" mode + US Countrycode we end up with 17dBm of output power in the tx-power-table for each MCS and the connection doesn't work over long ranges. We set the antenna gain to 0dbm, tested other country codes and also tried to use the command line config, but sadly we always end up with 17dbm in the tx power table.
To us this looks like a bug, as similar configuration workflow works as expected on the accesspoint.

We were able to reproduce this behaviour of the Groove in the stock RouterOS (6.x. LTS) and also in the latest stable release (7.4.1) as well as the newest firmware (ar9340_3.41.fwf) available.

We would be very happy if someone could help us with our problem:
  • Is this a known problem?
  • Can you reproduce the problem?
  • Do you have any hints how to debug this further?
Thank your very much!

petrosilius
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RBGroove52HPn - TX Power cant be set >17dbm

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:13 am

Bump :?

We also used a dbm-meter to validate that the module is indeed only sending with the tx power shown in the tx power table on the web interface.

It would be too sad if the modules are totally unusable for us. I am wondering how those modules can be sold if the sending power is lower by a whole order of magnitude as advertised :(

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:41 am

What happens if you set:
Frequency mode to regulatory-doman

and then via the command line set:
/interface wireless set antenna-gain=0

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:02 am

Check first everytime the /export before give help... something inside can be wrong....

petrosilius
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:31 pm

We returned the Hardware and after a very long RMA process (~6 months) we received 2x new hardware with router-os version 6.48.6.
With this hardware the problem is gone and we can set TX Power to 27dbm with region code US .
I am still wondering why with the 2x old hardware didnt allow this to us, as i dont think the actual hardware changed. Also the software version is on the 6.48.6 LTS release from end of 2021.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:28 pm

It is the version that I use everywhere on production, and I recommend.

Since you've never provided an export,
the fault may be yours, not the previous machines.
Who knows how you had configured them... New machines may not have the incorrect settings you entered and therefore they work.
It's too late now.