Community discussions

MikroTik App

dwnldr
Topic Author

WifiWave2 - how to set multiple bands for same interface ?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:48 am

Dear Friends,

I would like to kindly ask for assistance on my hap3ac.
Im running recent RouterOS and wifiwave2 package. My goal is to set the "2.4GHz interface for G/N" bands and "N/AC for 5GHz interface ". However there is only 1selection possible, cannot add multiple bands in configuration. Since i dont find any related informations, my question is : do i need to add separate interfance for each band (and pointing the previous one as master), so need to have 4interfaces for 4bands ? Or the mentioned/selected band represents the "maximum" and its backward compatible - so if i set "N" for 2.4Ghz, b/g bands are also supported/working?

Thank you !

Greetings
Ronnie

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WifiWave2 - how to set multiple bands for same interface ?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:41 pm

Your hAP ac3 has 2 different wireless interfaces (likely called wifi1 and wifi2), one for 2.4GHz radio and one for 5GHz radio. And you should configure channels on each of them according to hardware capability.

dwnldr
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:17 pm

Thank you very much for you reply. This part is clear, and i already done that, but i would like to know the upper mentioned part : how to configure 2.4GHz radio for G/N bands and 5GHz radio for N/AC bands, since there is option to choose only 1band for 1radio under config.

Thank you !

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:48 pm

I don't understand what exactly is your problem. Or better: how exactly are you trying to configure wifi interfaces? First thing is to avoid using QuickSet for such setup (it's beyond the trivial things that are handled by QuickSet).

dwnldr
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm

Thank you for your response again.
If i configure for instance 2.4GHz Radio, under "Channel" option, or in Interface itself, you need to choose the specific band (2GHz options: AX, G, N ; 5GHz options: A, A/N, AC, AX). But i can select only ONE band ! My actual config is 2.4GHz with N channel, 5GHz with AC channel. But i would like to add also "G" band for 2.4 and "N" band for 5GHz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:45 pm

You need to do this for each radio apart.
So define 2 channels, one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz.
Then in configuration you assign the channel definition to the radio.

Very capsman-like.

dwnldr
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:42 pm

Thank you very much for your for reply, but... I cannot write it else. I ask it other way, i would be thankful for any help :
Lets forgot 5GHz Radio and work only with 2.4GHz.

How can i define in 2.4GHz radio settings that i would like to use "G" and "N" band simultaneously, if i can select and add only ONE option ? I create a configuration, which i assign to the radio, but in this config is possible define only one band (see picture) and in interface itself is possible to add only one config. So even if i create more configs, i cannot assign more than one to the interface itself. I found this kind of question on more places, also here in forums, but without answer. Or even more easyer question. How would you create setting for 2.4GHz under wifiwave2 to use G and N bands ?

Thank you !

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:19 pm

AFAIK it's "up to ..." when selecting one of options. I.e. if you select "2GHz N", it'll actually be g/n (I'm not sure about b, might be included as well). Likewise on 5GHz, "5GHz AC" will actually be a/n/ac .

I have it like that on my Audience. I don't know how to verify which standard is used by particular client though.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:28 pm

Hi,

those are not bands, but WIFI standards, therefore the confusion. If you are on 2.4GHz, you can have devices operating accoding to G or N standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009
I think it´ll be easier to get an answer asking: what should we select on WIFIWave2, to have G&N Support.
I do believe the answer would be to select G and then you would have AX/N/G support. Would you have selected A, your MT would include A as well.
The reason being: the backwards compatibility costs performance, so you would want to have only AX support to reach the maximum performance and loose the compatibility to legacy standards.
W
Ps. beware: I don´t use WifiWave2 myself, so while the former is the most logical, I did not test it. So if I am wrong, do me a favor and correct me. :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:35 pm

I think it´ll be easier to get an answer asking: what should we select on WIFIWave2, to have G&N Support.
I do believe the answer would be to select G and then you would have AX/N/G support.

Ps. beware: I don´t use WifiWave2 myself, so while the former is the most logical, I did not test it. So if I am wrong, do me a favor and correct me. :)

Indeed selecting single wifi standard can mean one of 3 things:
  1. exact value (e.g. selecting 2.4GHz G would mean only G, not N and not B)
  2. backward compatibility (e.g. support anything newer and including selected technology, 2.4GHz G would mean G/N but not B)
  3. "forward" compatibility (e.g. limiting support to not so new technologies, 2.4GHz G would mean B/G but not N)

Mikrotik's help page doesn't really say which one is it. However, usual with technology upgrades is that newer devices are backward compatible, which IMO makes option #3 above the most logical (one should not remove support for old technologies, but might disable support for new technologies in case there are some teething problems. Yes, legacy driver does allow one to set things according to #2 and #3 at the same time, wifiwave2 does not).

dwnldr
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:16 pm

Thank you for your comments friends !

Im familiar that we are talking about WiFi Standards, i just would like to mention exactly the "option" directly from RouterOS where "BAND" stands for standard (as you see in the picture above). I would like to avoid confusing and i did exactly the opposite, im sorry for that. As mentioned, there is also lack of information in Mikrotik-s documentation, therefore is now confusion also on my side. It is now funny situtation since to clarify exactly how it is working, i need to grab some older device and give i try which of "3 working methods" is applied for this part, if device with only "G" standard antenna will work.