Community discussions

MikroTik App

evilsabc
just joined
Topic Author

CRS518-16XS-2XQ SWOS ?

Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:58 pm

Hi i just bought 6 of these switch where is the SWOS ?

Its hell to use the switching function in ROUTER OS compared to SWOS ...

Is SWOS suppose to be implemented or there is a way to install it ?

Thanks

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS518-16XS-2XQ SWOS ?

Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:06 pm

Forget SwOS where it was never intended.

evilsabc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:34 pm

Whats the point of a Router OS for Router on a damn switch ?

All i want is to fast choose what vlan to open on what port like in SWOS ... if i wanted a router i would buy a router instead ...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:55 pm

From technical point of view, CRS518 is a very capable "L3 switch" meaning it can route at wirespeed. But configuring routing is not a very trivial task, certainly not doable via a few GUI clicks.

From "homework" point of view: product specification clearly indicates that OS used is RouterOS. If you somehow missed this (important) piece of data, or you chose to ignore it, it's entirely up to you. IMO MT does not have to do anything about your personal discomfort.

evilsabc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:10 pm

The question is more why not add the 2 OS like CRS3XX series if we need more advanced feature we use the Router OS if we need simple VLAN task we use SW OS ... i saw the router os on the website but i was thinking they will add the sw os as its more logical for simple use of the switch ...

Its not about simple disconfort its about time to configure the switch why complicated things when you already have the sw os that do that easily... maybe you like to configure everything in command line ...

Anyway i understand i will have to do it the hard way as they have no plan to add sw os ...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:03 pm

Anyway i understand i will have to do it the hard way as they have no plan to add sw os ...

THe hard way is not that hard IMO. After you wrap your head around the concept of VLANs in ROS, it's a matter of only few configuration items (in CLI that's configuration lines, in GUI that's configuration windows).

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:08 pm

is amazing how people request to be provided with a less capable system

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Not really less capable system. Due to laziness they request system that can do complex things but autoconfigures itself according to their fuzzy ideas about what they want to have but are unable even to clearly formulate them. Sigh.

evilsabc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:58 pm

Not really less capable system. Due to laziness they request system that can do complex things but autoconfigures itself according to their fuzzy ideas about what they want to have but are unable even to clearly formulate them. Sigh.
Yeah it was so hard to understand that i only want to have the standard option we have in SW OS yeah i know because i dont like to mess with a router OS made for a damn router on a switch that already have a SW OS available on other version made me lazzyyy and have lots of fuzzy ideas what a shitty answer you can just pass on my post ...

I dont ask something hard only a way to simply add a number for the vlan and choose what port to use with a check on the port we want like we have in SW OS ...

Elrick
just joined

Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:16 pm

Yeah it was so hard to understand that i only want to have the standard option we have in SW OS yeah i know because i dont like to mess with a router OS made for a damn router on a switch that already have a SW OS available on other version made me lazzyyy and have lots of fuzzy ideas what a shitty answer you can just pass on my post ...

I dont ask something hard only a way to simply add a number for the vlan and choose what port to use with a check on the port we want like we have in SW OS ...
Same things on my side, i just bought and discover that SWOS doesn't exist (too lame).
I need to use my switch to have port-based VLAN !!! simple and efficient.
But i dunno how to setup it, only tuto talk about trunk setup, nos usefull for me !
Do you have configuration to share to do it with this switch please?
Best Regads.