Community discussions

MikroTik App

cptnbvs
just joined
Topic Author

Roaming and VoWIFI/WIFI calls

Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:17 pm

Hello all,

I am new here and I am thinking about equipping my new house with MikroTik hardware.
The main problem that makes me uncertain in my choice is that WIFI calls are essential for me.
For the transition I have provisionally connected two APs from different manufacturers, which is of course the worst-case scenario. Every time the smartphone connects to the other AP, the call drops. I hope that a new WIFI system will have good roaming mechanisms that avoid this as far as possible.

I would be happy if someone has made experiences in this context and could share them with me. In other forums I read that Unify would handle roaming better than MikroTik with CAPsMAN but I would prefer MikroTik.

Thanks a lot

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Roaming and VoWIFI/WIFI calls

Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:25 pm

MikroTik with CAPsMAN
What is a test?
The answer is in the question.

If the two APs are still misplaced and misconfigured, no matter the brand, the line will fall anyway.

cptnbvs
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:43 pm

I'm not concerned with the current situation, this just raised the fear that I could have these problems even in a well configured system from MikroTik.
For this I am looking for experiences, whether it is in principle possible to realize such a thing without aborting the phone call or whether this generally always happens.
Of course, a correct configuration, as well as good coverage is essential, otherwise an uninterrupted change of APs can not take place. And I am also aware that the client (in this case the smartphone) is also relevant.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:05 pm

For now there is no support for true roaming using capsman (unless I am mistaking).
Starting hooks for real roaming have been implemented with latest ROS7 versions in wifiwave2 (for now only within SSIDs of same AP, hence no roaming from AP to AP ) but using wifiwave2, you can not use capsman.
And wifiwave2 on itself is also rather limited as far as HW is concerned (should improve as time goes by).

So ... might be a problem.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Roaming and VoWIFI/WIFI calls  [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:33 pm

Even TP-Link or Mercusys handle roaming better than MikroTik currently, sadly.

cptnbvs
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:59 am

Thank you all! That's sad because I like ROS and the MikroTik hardware. I will continue collecting experiences.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:31 pm

"If caps-man could control a good radio..."