Community discussions

MikroTik App

donegal
just joined
Topic Author

VoIP provider's recommendations - are they needed? Where to implement?

Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Hi folks,

I've signed up with an Irish VoIP provider here and have also just received a Mikrotik HAP ac3 as our primary router. It's my first foray into Mikrotik so I'm slowly getting to grips with RouterBoard and also our new voice provider's features and control panels.

Our VoIP provider has sent me a sheet of recommended network / firewall requirements, primarily to support their IP deskphones and SIP trunks. I'm curious how much of this I need to setup in Routerboard and for some items, where it the most appropriate place to set it?
sshot-1381.png
Is Mikrotik performing any form of DPI? For NTP, while I did try to run DHCP option 42, it's very hit and miss whether the router issues it or not so I'd prefer to just put a pass xy.pool.ntp.org in the firewall, if it's required that is. The IP deskphones are hard coded to pull from ie.pool.ntp.org
sshot-1382.png
I've disabled the SIP service in the firewall which doesn't appear to cause issue whether it's on or off. The session timers I'm unsure of
sshot-1383.png
I have added all IP ranges to an Address List which I'd intend to drop into a firewall rule but I'm wondering do I need to or should I be checking somewhere to see if traffic to any of these IP's is being blocked first?
sshot-1384.png
I assume a number of these ports may already be open. Would it be a case I open them but limit for example the SIP ports to the IP ranges above?
sshot-1385.png
These are device specific ports for the Poly IP deskphones. Any suggestions on a clean and safe method for adding these, perhaps limiting them to a specific IP on the LAN?

Happy to hear any tips or criticism. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by donegal on Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VoIP provider's recommendations - are they needed? Where to implement?

Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

You can add images or other files on "Attachments" tab,
do not use any 3rd party site.

If you provide images, please do not cut the end of images...

If you have a PDF, better share the PDF than convert PDF on single images not well cutted...