Community discussions

MikroTik App

tspascoal
Topic Author

Hex crashing with 7.5

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:14 pm

Hi,

Since I've upgraded my Hex S (https://mikrotik.com/product/hex_s) (RB760iGS) to 7.5 it has already crashed twice (It is the first time I've seen a mikrotik freeze. (my network has 3 other Mikrotiks).

This has only happened since upgraded to 7.5. It just stops responding, I can't connect to it and no traffic flows (the leds still blink with activity). The only solution is to power cycling it.

Has anyone seen the same behavior? How can i diagnose the issue?

Thanks

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hex crashing with 7.5

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:30 pm

My Hex is humming nicely on 7.5 (OK, it's not S but base is the same).

How did you move from original ROS6 to current situation ? Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, ... and so on ?
Have you ever done a netinstall since moving over to ROS7 ? Did you ever restore a binary backup from before that netinstall back to your device ?
It might be time to netinstall to clear all bad bugs :lol:
Be sure to export all config binary and as rsc (show-sensitive !), just in case.
Netinstall = clean config
Import rsc config again (DON'T use that binary again or the issues might resurface)

Others might chime in with other suggestions but at the end, I think you may have to walk this path.

jabestano
just joined

Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:36 am

Same happening to my case with a brand new device. The only difference is that it only crashed once and the device is no longer accessible.

I was tempted to install 7 when seeing someone showing that the codel is working a charm with his setup.

After it downloaded the package, it started to install and just after a few milliseconds the router suddenly stops working. It has still its power but the USR green led is coming on and off and the LAN led goes along with it as well.

I tried manufacturer reset, it did not help.

I tried NetInstall, the device does not appear in the Router/Drives section. I noticed the LAN connection is also coming on and off along with the blinking USR/LAN led.

I was trying to connect to the Support but one of their suggestions (been from there other suggestions) is to get and find here in the forum. I found same concern but looks like I already performed those suggestions and still not working to my end.

Do you think this can still be revived? If so, how? please..... 😭😭😭

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:34 am

I tried NetInstall, the device does not appear in the Router/Drives section. I noticed the LAN connection is also coming on and off along with the blinking USR/LAN led.

It seems like router in in a boot loop. Netinstall should work, however netinstall is a very fragile process (linux breed not so much), so it may require quite some effort to get it going. Follow netinstall manual and take all the hints very seriously.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:22 am

Also good to mention is:

- Disable all network cards except the one you are using to connect to your router.
- Run netinstall as administrator
- If you have any special characters in your user name, for eg. š,č,ć then I would suggest you to select path for your files that doesn't contain special characters.
- Allow access to both public and private network because it happened to me several times that windows mark network as public instead of private.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:28 pm

If you have any special characters in your user name, for eg. š,č,ć
So đ and ž are fine? :lol:

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:57 pm