Community discussions

MikroTik App

Fasterski
just joined
Topic Author

RBcAP2n - not booting after firmware update

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 am

Hi there,

I have tried updating the firmware to the latest available via quickset check for updates. It downloaded and rebooted. Problem is when it reboots no wifi nor does it show up on the Winbox. I have tired resets with power disconnected then holding the power till wifi led blinks. No go it gets stuck with all leds on. Kept it powered on for long time ( 15 minutes plus ) . Is there any other method of resetting it? Hardware jumper , etc ?

Thanks in advance.

Dom

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RBcAP2n - not booting after firmware update

Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:15 am

Netinstall.
Keep pressing reset until it appears in the netinstall window.
My choice of preference is Linux platform for this process.

But for that specific device, it can be tricky. You should remove it from the ceiling/wall to reach the reset button properly.

For future, ONLY for initial installation you can use QuickSet (and the more experienced users will not even use it for that).
NEVER again after.
It does things in the background which may completely mess up your configuration (as you have found out).

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:38 pm

what RouterOS version was it running before you tried to update it?

Fasterski
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 am

It was running something much older 6.3x I would like to say. I just got if off someone used. It was working fine. I needed to eventually flash it with 7.5 (or at least to get it to work with new CAPSMAN)

I tried all the reset via a button. There is something on the board that looks like one of those hardware methods to reset for some of the other MKs. Can I use that method ?

It just sits there with all the lights on and winbox will not pick it up. I have it plugged in.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:56 am

Windows netinstall or linux version ?
If windows, make sure to disable all physical and virtual network ports except the one the device is connected to.
Already tried a switch in between (poe then...) ?
If windows, try running wireshark on the port to see what sort of traffic comes. If nothing, the device might be dead.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:26 pm

It was running something much older 6.3x I would like to say. I just got if off someone used. It was working fine. I needed to eventually flash it with 7.5 (or at least to get it to work with new CAPSMAN)

I tried all the reset via a button. There is something on the board that looks like one of those hardware methods to reset for some of the other MKs. Can I use that method ?

It just sits there with all the lights on and winbox will not pick it up. I have it plugged in.
On my 3 cap2n, I just hold the reset button until they turn up in netinstall.

Fasterski
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:00 pm

Thanks all , I had to run the utility in admin mode in windows. Otherwise it was not showing on the net install utility.

Flashed it and works like a charm with latest firmware.