Community discussions

MikroTik App

IntLDaniel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

New in routing protcols BGP, OSFP... public IP failover?

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:13 pm

Simple situation description:
* I have two WAN failover settings based on policy routing (strictly set which address group will use which WAN as primary and second WAN as failover only)
* I have a sort of public IPs provided from each WAN provider, most of them are distributed to our clients via NETMAP, so in situation of primary WAN outage, they still have working internet, BUT via different public IP
* BUT I have also sort of clients where they have public IP routed directly on their router's wan port (via our DHCP)... so if the primary WAN provider (who provide that public IPs) have a problem am I able to somehow keep that public IPs (provided from primary WAN provider) reachable via second failover WAN? Is this a task for routing protocols like BGP, OSFP...?

Sorry for such basic question and thanks for reply.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: New in routing protcols BGP, OSFP... public IP failover?

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:20 pm

No, during failover you will need to nat those public IPs to other public IPs from the second ISP.

If you want real failover for clients with public IPs, then you must have to get your own public network and then advertise it to your ISPs with BGP.

IntLDaniel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: New in routing protcols BGP, OSFP... public IP failover?

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:31 pm

Thanks for clear and fast reply incl. the only solution with NAT. Currently I do probably complicated solution (in the moment of failover) that I manually change DHCP server on our side (disable sort static leases and enable different sort) and instead of public IP some local subnet IPs are provided which are NATed to pulic IP of failover WAN. So maybe I can keep them the public IP but (again manually or via some script) enable another NAT rule which will NAT their public IPs to one different public IP from second ISP?