Community discussions

MikroTik App

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

yet another pointless topic: What a dissapointment

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:30 pm

Day by day I discover new things that came with ROS 7 and every day something else excites me.
I was happy with Wireguard despite its flaws. I was impressed by ZeroTier and the ability to connect routers behind CG NAT. I was absolutely delirious when I found the containers, but it was too beautiful to last.
We know that the internal flash is not advisable to be used for a large number of writes and deletions, so it is clear that we need some kind of external disk to use the container if we do not want to destroy the 200 USD router in a short time.
And that's where the problems start.
I had an RB450, it had an SD slot;
I had a 2011, it had USB;
I had a 3011, it had usb;
I finally got a 4011 when it has no USB, no SD, and nothing to which I could connect an external memory.

Why is that so?
4011 is not a toy, it is already a very serious router in terms of speed and processing power, and it does not have such important features.
Come on people, agree on the minimum functionality that a device of a certain category must satisfy so that I don't have to buy a new router with every new version of ROS and every new functionality.

regards

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What a dissapointment

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:36 pm

When you bought RB4011 you bought if for what it could do THEN when you bought it.
Why the rage?

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:58 pm

first, there is no rage except in you imagination, and second ... you missed the point by miles.,

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:26 pm

RB4011 is 4 years old now, what do you expect MikroTik to change at it .. now?
The successor is launched already, RB5009, and it has an USB3.0 port (first device from MikroTik that features an USB3.0 port?)
Even when RB5009 was launched, there was no talk of containers(?). Much less 4 years ago.
So what's the point of your post?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:10 am

Since the post is intended for people who will read it more carefully than you and understand it unlike you, I see no reason to discuss it with you any more and read your infantile arguments..

greeting

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:18 am

Yeah, sure.
You're still asking questions about a product that was launched 4 years ago. Pointless.
Cheers!

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:20 am

Yeah, sure.
You're still asking questions about a product that was launched 4 years ago. Pointless.
Cheers!
you are a bit slow aren't you?

I'm not discussing how to add a disk to the 4011, but rather that a certain category of routers should meet some common criteria.
If we agree that 450, 2011, 3011, 4011 and 5009 are routers roughly of the same category for their time, isn't it strange that only 4011 doesn't have usb, and it's also strange that the SD slot was removed, while the 450G had it many years ago.

So the idea is to prevent such things from happening again and not to add it to the old router.
is it a little clearer now?

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:29 am

And like I've posted above, RB5009, the successor in that line has an USB port, so this "didn't happen" again. It even has an improved USB port. The board design of RB5009 makes it capable of much more, we expect more versions of it.
RB4011 was sold as it is to keep the costs down, for whoever needed more routing power and keep it competitive for that.
If you posted this 4 years ago it would've made sense, but now? no. You're the internet explorer user, sorry. (To not call you "slow").
And you've posted this in the General (RouterOS related) section instead of the RouterBOARD Hardware section, here: viewforum.php?f=3 But since you're writing from the past, probably that section didn't exist 4 years ago, or did it? :)
Last edited by Znevna on Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:09 am

It would be nice when the RB60xx is designed, that it will have at least what the RB5009 has, plus a circuit board with spots for a "plus" version to be populated with an microSD slot, piezo buzzer, and serial console. These are things that perhaps most people wouldn't want to pay extra for, but unless the USB supports adding an external hub (maybe it does?) having at least the option available would be nice. A microSD slot is probably the cheapest option to add. Designing the mother board with places for the optional components would at least make it possible to have a "standard" version and an extra cost option with the extra features. Whether there would be sufficient demand to an extra model is something that is hard to know. The buzzer is nice, and although it may be possible to add an external device with USB, unless you can add a usb hub, then you would be limited to a single usb device (console, lte modem, buzzer, external ssd, etc.) But adding an external USB hub reminds me of iphone dongles.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:39 am

@satman1w
You are disappointed that older routers (and all routers) does not support newer function like container.
I have no problem finding a older PC (free) that I can install Linux and run any container that I need.
Yes its nice to have many function on fewer devices, but its not a must.

And what a about the 1000+ other nice function in RouterOS? Does they mean nothing?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:17 pm

@jotne,
I think what @ satman1w wrote is clear evidence that he doesn't realize that when those routers went on sale,
the features added later didn't exist, so he casually complains just to write something,
and from how he replied to @Znevna, it seems that only The Enlightened can understand what he wrote.