Community discussions

MikroTik App

ljs007
just joined
Topic Author

Basic Question - Sorry!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:22 pm

Hi all, I'm very new to MikroTik after using Ubiquiti and Cambium for years, my question is, 'The Dude' - is this a software package I can install on a cloud server (Windows, Linux etc) and point MikroTik AP's, switches, routers etc towards for monitoring and maintenance purposes? Also assuming we'll be installing MikroTik kit on multiple sites? i.e. with Ubiquiti UISP product, we create a Linux server on Digital Ocean or Vultr then install the UISP software. We can then link routers, switches, AP's etc from multiple sites to this software and manage and maintain from a central place.

I know this is probably a basic question but just wanted to get a clear answer.

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Basic Question - Sorry!

Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:17 pm

Hello ljs007,

Basically, The Dude is the monitoring solution from Mikrotik. You can monitor you hardware/software via SNMP or natively but only Mikrotik devices.

Old versions can be installed on Windows only and the current one only on RouterOS. Yes, you can run it in the Cloud on CHR - Cloud Hosted Router (CHR).

But The Dude will not help you so much with device management, like you did it with the Ubiquiti. For that, Mikrotik started to think about MikroTik Devices Controller. As for now, it is just in a discussion phase and it may take years, like other stuff at Mikrotik :)

We all hope, that this time it will be faster.

ljs007
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Basic Question - Sorry!

Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:02 pm

Thanks you for your reply my friend, I'm going to install thedude and see how it fits