Community discussions

MikroTik App

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OSPF - Can't get default route into another area

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:22 pm

I am just getting into learning OSPF and have run into and issue.

Setup

Internet->R1-->R2-->R3

In the initial setup I have R1,R2,R3 in backbone area. R1 has static default route towards the internet. R1 has its instance set to distribute-default always-as-type-1. With all routers in the same area all routes distributed properly including the default route.

However if instead I have backbone as the network connecting R1->R2 and then Area 2 as the network connecting R2->R3 the default route on R1 is not added to the routing table of R3. It shows up in the LSA of R3 as a Type External with R1 as the originator.

How am I supposed to get the default route from R1 into the routing table of R3 when R1 and R3 are in separate areas?

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: OSPF - Can't get default route into another area

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Capture.PNG
Forgive the crude drawing. Here is what I am attempting to do.

R1 connects to R2 via fiber.
R1 connects to R3 via fiber
R2 connects to R3 via wireless

What I want is clients on R3 to get to the internet via R1 unless the R3->R1 link is down.
If the R1->R3 links is down I instead want them to go to R1 via R2 using the wireless link.
I want clients from R2 to get to the internet via R1 and only R1 regardless of the state of the link between R2 and R3.

I thought putting the link between R2 and R3 in a separate area that could be used to prevent traffic going from R2 through R3 to reach R1.

Honestly after thinking about it maybe OSPF is the wrong way to accomplish this? Maybe statics would be better?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:56 pm

Dumb question, is area1 or area 2 set as a backbone area?

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:31 pm

Area 1 is backbone.

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:17 pm

I might have fixed it. On R3 I had the loopback interface as part of the Backbone area. Once I disabled that network 10.0.0.3/32 the routes were installed in R3.

Question then is I have a loopback IP on each router 10.0.0.1/32 (R1), 10.0.02/32 (R2) and 10.0.0.3/32 (R3). Following an example online I had each one of those IPs added as Networks to the backbone area. Was that wrong?

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:49 pm

Capture.PNG
I have changed my design and have it working now. The above is a simplified image of my main routers.

The Edge to the Internet is via eBGP and the core to the Edge is via static routes.

I have three Areas. Area 0 (backbone) is green. Area 2 (yellow). Area 3 (blue).

10.0.0.0/24 is my loopback interface.

With this setup I have the default route being sent properly to the non-backbone areas and all needed routes are in the routing table.

Not sure if this is a proper or even optimal setup, but so far it looks to be working properly in my test lab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.