Community discussions

MikroTik App

cyrilleleclerc
just joined
Topic Author

Best practices to combine an LHG LTE Kit with a mesh of Audience devices

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 am

Dear community,

I am setting up the internet access of an old country side house combining an LHG LTE18 kit to get Internet access with a Mesh network of Audience devices to avoid deploying ethernet cables.
By default, both the LHG LTE Kit and the Audience Controller will behave as routers (firewall, DHCP server, same ip subnet 192.168.88.x...).

What is the best practice to combine an LHG LTE Kit and a mesh of Audience devices?
Shall I simply keep 2 layers of routers, just ensuring the don't conflict using the same IP subnet 192.168.88.x... ? Or is there a solution to disable the router on one layer?

tapir

Re: Best practices to combine an LHG LTE Kit with a mesh of Audience devices

Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:59 pm

Where I have done 4G installs in the past I have made the LHG/SXT the router/firewall and run everything on a single subnet behind that. Either the AP or LHG can run your DHCP server - it doesn't really matter. You will have C-NAT as your on 4G anyway, so adding double-NAT to that is probably best avoided.

cyrilleleclerc
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:30 pm

Where I have done 4G installs in the past I have made the LHG/SXT the router/firewall and run everything on a single subnet behind that. Either the AP or LHG can run your DHCP server - it doesn't really matter. You will have C-NAT as your on 4G anyway, so adding double-NAT to that is probably best avoided.
Thank you very much Tapir,

Your recommendation makes sense to me.

I'll move forward cautiously as the Audience Mesh Controller is not meant to be completely passive in the architecture, it behaves as the CAPSMan of the Audience Mesh Repeater units with some out-of-the-box configuration defined when pairing repeaters with the controller using the "WPS Sync button".
I guess making the LHG the router would require to assign a well none stable IP to the Audience Mesh Controller so that it can be the CAPSMan of the Audience Mesh Repeaters. I'll keep the forum updated if I succeed in doing this smarter setup.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:43 pm

I would put the LHG LTE into passthrough mode, and use the Primary Audience as the CAPSMAN controller, router and firewall.