Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pticed
just joined
Topic Author

Audiance Mesh vs CAPsMAN

Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi,

I have a mesh of Google Wifis at home. It works well but it is really painfully to administrate (only via an app on the smartphone, very slow, no easy way to backup the config...).
So few month ago, I bought my first Audience router having in mind to progressively replace my Google Wifis mesh.
As more and more Mikrotik Wifi 6 router are released, I'm waiting for Audience with Wifi 6.

But I'm wondering if I really need a mesh of Audience or if several Mikrotik access points managed by CAPsMAN could do the same job.

I have a network cable between 2 rooms but the rest is in Wifi. Previously I had 2 Wifi routers with the same SSID but it was not very convenient. Sometimes when I was upstairs, I was still connected to the downstairs router. With the Google Wifis, it's working perfectly.

I'd like to have a great Wifi coverage like what I have with my Google Wifis, but with the ease of configuration and power of Mikrotik devices.

I wonder if several APs managed by CAPsMAN will work better than several different Wifi routers configured with the same SSID or if it's better to build a mesh of Audience routers.

Right now I have a mesh of 4 Google Wifis including 2 that are wired together.

I think I could try the same setup with Audience (or I may need less devices (more recent and powerful ?)).
Or have 2 Mikrotik wired APs and 1 or 2 Mikrotik APs configured as ap bridges.

What do you think?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Audiance Mesh vs CAPsMAN

Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Well, broadly speaking the biggest difference is that Audiences have a hidden wireless interface that is used to connect the units themselves. No need to run any LAN cables in your house.
Audience still uses CAPsMAN for the other things. You can build a capsman setup with any MikroTik routers, the only difference will be that you need the LAN cable to every unit.

Management and CAPsMAN part is the same in either case. It's just cable vs no-cable.