Community discussions

MikroTik App

scosta
just joined
Topic Author

cAP lite poor wireless performance

Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:16 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum, to Mikrotik devices and to networking in general, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I have a network consisting of a pfSense firewall, switches and a few Ubiquiti AP's. I recently acquired both a cAP lite and a cAP ac to test them, configuring the ac as CAPsMAN and the lite as a CAP, it kind of worked but the connection was very slow in all wireless clients on both AP's (loading web pages and streaming videos was very bad in many different phones and laptops). So I took the cAP lite off the wall, reset it and started testing following these instructions viewtopic.php?t=143446#p763654. After configuring the cAP lite I have internet access through its Wi-Fi, but it's noticiably slow. Here are a few tests I ran on speedtest.net.
In the first test I connected the cAP lite in the switch that's connected to the pfSense firewall and held the ap right above the laptop's keyboard (it's worth noting I did that in a relatively recluse area where I get almost no Wi-Fi interference), so it was only a few centimetrers from its wireless card, I also made sure to be the only connected client. The second test was with the same laptop now wired with the same cable I used in the cAP in the previous test. The third test was using my already set up Wi-Fi network using Unifi hardware (UAP-LR) ~10m away from it. The last test was like the previous but I was right below the AP.

I still haven't tested the cAP ac like that as it's installed in a more busy area, so for now I'll look only into the lite and I'll test the ac as soon as I can. Going back to the topic, I noticed something else, but I believe the problem may lie elsewhere like some configuration I missed or from the firewall (which I'm not sure as everything else is working just fine). Though I have internet access in a host connected to the AP, I can't ping from the AP itself to the gateway, ping from the gateway to the AP, nor can I search for package updates from WinBox (ERROR: could not resolve dns name), but I can successfully ping from it to other hosts (my wired computer, the laptop connected to its wireless network, the Windows Server, etc) and vice versa (ping from my computer or laptop to AP).

So to boil things down, I have these two problems:
1 - Poor wireless performance on cAP ac and cAP lite;
2 - (apparently) No internet access in the AP.
Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?

This is my network:
And this is the config
# oct/10/2022 13:04:36 by RouterOS 6.47.10
# software id = NDDK-4PFM
#
# model = RBcAPL-2nD
# serial number = F0FA0FF98DA9
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa-psk mode=dynamic-keys name=profile1 \
    supplicant-identity=""
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce \
    country=brazil disabled=no frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge \
    security-profile=profile1 ssid=MikroTik wireless-protocol=802.11
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system identity
set name=Coordenacao

Wooferguy
just joined

Re: cAP lite poor wireless performance

Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:29 am

First off, welcome! Secondly, your pictures don't work sorry - we can't see them.

I can't speak to how to increase your wireless throughput, but I can tell you that for the package manager to search for updates, you need two things:

• A route that can reach 0.0.0.0/0, in this case hopefully picked up by your dhcp client
  • DNS settings in the mikrotik itself, since the update server is reached via domain name

It's also a little strange to me that you bridge the wireless and ethernet interfaces and put the dhcp client there - since I can't see your network setup, I won't say whether this is right or wrong. Just be aware that you could pick up addresses from the wireless side AND the wired side of the AP, that might not be what you want.

scosta
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:30 pm

Thank you very much for the reply!

It seems the image host deleted the images after a few days. The internet speed was ~10Mbps download/~6Mpbs upload on cAP lite, ~90Mpbs/~70Mbps wired, ~20Mpbs/~15Mbps on Unifi AP (far) and ~30Mpbs/~20Mpbs on Unifi AP (close).

My network looks like the following:
or https://freeimage.host/i/b15nwl

I know next to nothing about networking so sorry if I don't make sense from here on.
pfSense is doing the routing and serving DHCP. I wanted to use the cAP as an access point, forwarding(?) wireless traffic to the gateway which is all in the same network, that's why the bridge. Is it incorrect/not the usual way of configuring it? At least in the beginner guides I looked at they all bridged ethernet and wireless. Also I set the DHCP client on the bridge as setting on a slave(?) interface like ethernet was apparently invalid, as shown in WinBox. When I go to IP > DNS it shows the dynamic DNS 192.168.1.1, I also tried setting the DNS (both pfSense and Google's 8.8.8.8) but to no effect, I can't ping the internet nor my gateway.
In IP > Routes there is a dynamic route to 0.0.0.0, the gateway is "192.168.1.1 reachable bridge", and another dynamic route to 192.168.0.0/22 (which is the network configured in pfSense) where the gateway is "bridge reachable".

Thanks again!

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:39 pm

if you change:
band=2ghz-b/g/n
to
band=2ghz-g/n
does the throughput improve?