Community discussions

MikroTik App

ciotóg
just joined
Topic Author

[Advice Request] Planning to setup Dual LTE WAN load-balancing

Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:25 am

Hi,
I'd appreciate advice that people have around load-balancing a dual WAN setup for a small home network.
I'm currently using a LHG LTE device for my internet connection (ISP: eir) and planning to augment the setup with one of the newer LHG LTE18 devices (ISP: Vodafone). My goals are:
1. When both connections are healthy then
a. Load-balance the two connections. Initially 50:50 but I suspect Vodafone will have better performance (even if it was on the same hardware) so I would need to be able to configure a weighting towards one of the two connections
b. Configure which ISP is used for certain traffic. In previous tests the SIP phone was much more stable on eir than Vodafone (open to doing that based on protocol/source IP/MAC) - this is a must have. A nice to have would be to do this in other scenarios
2. When one connection fails then all traffic must use the healthy connection
a. Failover must be automatic, happy to recover back manually.

This is a high level view of what my network looks like today. There are likely things that could've been done better but it all seems to work :) . There's a mix of mostly Ubiquiti and Mikrotik kit in use for the network.
High Level_ Home network - Frame 1.jpg
As well as the LHG LTE18 kit which is arriving next week (hopefully) I have a spare EdgeRouter X and a hEX POE router available. I'm leaning towards replacing the existing edgerouter X with the hEX POE and using this Load Balancing with PCC example as my starting point. I've no complaints with the Ubiquiti kit but RouterOS on Mikrotik kit seems like the better option in the longer term which is why I picked up the hEX POE router. The EdgeRouter can do WAN load balancing .. I figure I can mess around on the spare one and keep the current working one untouched if it all gets too much.

Load balancing is beyond my current knowledge level so I've also been looking at posts like viewtopic.php?p=947585&hilit=load+balance#p947585 to see what other people have done and problems they've had .. so I may have a lot of rudimentary questions as I go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.