Community discussions

MikroTik App

xavierdelphan
just joined
Topic Author

2 x WAP60G AP - Sky Q Issue

Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:35 pm

Hi all,

New to Mikrotik kit coming over from Ubiquiti...

I've set up a short distance link (150meters) between two WAP 60G AP's. Set up in bridge mode and working perfectly with gigabit speeds.

The only issue I have come across is with the Sky Q set up - we have the main box on the host AP end and the Sky Q mini on the receivers side. Although the mini box gets an internet connection it can't "see" the main box. Weirdly, if I reset the network on the Sky Q mini box it will boot and work for around 3 mins perfectly, before dropping to an error relating to being unable to find the main box.

This worked perfectly previously on a basic TP-Link 5Ghz PTP set up.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could look at changing? Seems weird that it does work for a few mins (streaming live TV etc) but then stops, almost like the traffic is then being blocked?

Any advice is appreciated - ask for any screenshots of configs etc.

thanks in advance!

stevenma
just joined

Re: 2 x WAP60G AP - Sky Q Issue

Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:13 am

Hi,
Did you resolve this issue?

Are the two Sky Q boxes in the same subnet either side of the radio link? I’m guessing yes as you have the link in Bridge mode. I’m a Sky Q user & former Sky technical project manager but not enough of an MT / networking expert to assist much further.

If you haven’t found a resolution I might be able to ask a former colleague for you.

Rgds, Steve

xavierdelphan
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 2 x WAP60G AP - Sky Q Issue

Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:08 am

Hi Steve,

Appreciate the response!

They are indeed set up in bridge mode, so same subnet each end.

Definitely out my depth on the Mikrotik side of things here, but I had assumed that the Mikrotik bridge was blocking some ports or special protocol that the Sky Q requires to see the mini boxes, but the fact it works for a good five mins after a Sky Q network reset before falling back to the error message has thrown me!

I can't understand why it would work for a few mins then completely stop until another reset is performed - the Sky Mini retains its internet connection throughout, just can't see the main Sky Q box after five mins or so. Maybe some weird loopback/addressing issue? Odd that the box seemingly does retain its internet connection.

Anyone other ideas?

thanks