MikroTik App

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Does wifiwave2 support a repeater mode?

Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:46 am

Hi,

my 2 new hAP ax2 just arrived. Configured with wifiwave2 activated by default. I know there's not button for Setup repeater yet, but tought of doing it manually. It is just that hAP ac2, there is one special mode - Station bridge, which is missing from wifiwave2 configuration.

So, can I somehow setup a secong hAP ax2 as a repeater, or will I have to revert back to the old wifi stack?

Thanks,
/Petr

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Does wifiwave2 support a repeater mode?

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:07 am

Currently 4-address mode is not yet available in wifiwave2 driver (that includes xyz-bridge and WPS modes). I'm not sure, but it lurks in the dark parts of my memory ... the idea that the AX devices only run wifiwave2 driver, legacy wireless driver doesn't support those wireless chips? If that's true, then you'll have to patiently wait for 4-address support in wifiwave2 driver.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:20 am

You really can't provide network through the LAN cable? Or what other use case do you have to need repeater mode?

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:24 am

I have multiple installations of dual hAP ac2 in various locations (friends, family, etc.), all connected via eth cable ... apart from my apartment. We can't do any modifications here, I can't lead the cable across the apartment, hence the repeater mode was really handy.

As other user notes here - if new hAP ax2 can't support its wi-fi chipset on an old wireless stack, there is no other option for me, than to wait for ROS7 to support such feature.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:13 pm

I believe the word mkx and erlinden are looking for is: NO.

AX units can't use the old driver. The current driver DOESN'T SUPPORT repeater or client mode.

You could maybe use another product as a wireless bridge. Then connect the AX unit to that device, which would be your backhaul

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:28 pm

Of course you can always consider if you really need transparent bridging between your devices, or if "IP routing" would be good enough.
If so, you can make a WiFi link using the normal client mode and route the traffic over that.
(of course it requires IP renumbering and it may have issues with devices that rely on multicasting, mDNS, etc)