Community discussions

MikroTik App

TonnySPA
just joined
Topic Author

Multifamily residential network topology

Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:48 pm

Hi everyone,

currently, I am designing a network for a multifamily residential house (4 flats) with a technological room in the basement. I have a proposal of the following system topology:
ntwrk.png
where I would pick:
* router: RB5009UPr+S+IN
* switch: hAP ac lite
* WiFi: cAP ac
* or combine switch + WiFi with: hAP ax²

or would you rather go centralized solution without "flat switches" and have one and only big switch in the basement?

Best regards
Tomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Multifamily residential network topology

Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:54 pm

Hi,

before you buy a hap ac lite: don´t! It only has 100Mb ports, so if you connect it, you will have a bottleneck between the cap ac and the central router.
Maybe you could instead go with a hap ax2 instead of the switches and the access points. It has more decent wifi than the cap ac and also 1G ports

Don´t forget, that you could use the second port of a cap ac as well and you can pass through PoE.
You could connect an RB260GS to the second port of the CAPac and power it´s 5Gbit ports vie PoE.
That would probably be the cheapest solution, but you would need two cables running to the CAPac.

rb5009 --- cap ac --- rb260gs --- rj45 outlets

The RB260GS is not so smart, it can only run SwOS, but the rb5009 has enough power for every functionality.
You could also utilize the SFP port on it if an additional port will become necessary.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 am

This probably sounds a bit overkill, but this is what I would probably do:

Run all cables back to a central secure room, maybe in a cabinet that can also be locked, so it is easy to manage/upgrade/repair, terminate everything to a patch panel, no one will be able to poke at anything. And can put on battery backup, possibly setup alerts if power goes out.

I would just stick with standard Cat6 for everything. (Cat6A is for longer 10G copper runs, no benefit for a TV)

RB4011 or RB5009 as the main router, using a short 10G DAC to connect switch to router. Will have enough performance to run Gigabit speed internet.

CRS354-48P-4S+2Q+RM to run everything. It's a bit overkill, but will leave room for expansion. Otherwise do the same with the CRS328-24P-4S+RM but will have no spare ports on the switch. Benefit also as it's all POE, you can plug in VOIP phones, IOT devices, etc... and you can monitor it.) If cost is an issue, can use the non-POE version with the passive power injectors for the APs.

cAP ac /or/ cAP XL ac for access points.

Management VLAN. (eg: 90)
VLAN for each FLAT. (eg: 10,20,30,40)
IOT VLAN for each FLAT. (eg: 11, 21, 31, 41)
TV VLAN for each FLAT. (eg: 12, 22, 32, 42)
On wireless AP ports assign Management (eg: 90, maybe also add a separate management SSID) and all wireless FLAT VLANs (eg: 10, 11, 20, 21, 30, 31, 40, 41), then add the 8 SSIDs (one for each flat, and one additional for each flat IOT) to each AP connected to their assigned VLANs. (This will allow better coverage of the whole building.)

Plug NVR directly into router.

Will take a bit of programming/fire-walling to make sure everything is secure and separate.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:34 pm

This is the best solution, but it involves a lot of cabling.

TonnySPA
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:07 am

Thank you for the replies.
Now I have much more bright view. I would go for
* cAP XL ac: here I am missing 802.11ax as a future proof technology. I would say, that it worths to wait, or nothing is on radar?
* CRS326-24G-2S+RM: could be enough
* RB5009UG+S+IN: why would anyone go for 4011? (lower peeformance, older technology,...)
* Reolink NVR
* Synology NAS (or would you recommend custom Samba)

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:04 am

cap ac xl: I am using a bunch of cap acs, they work for me and their speed is OK for everything I commonly do (you need to invest a lot of time into learning how to set them up correctly), apart from the hap ax2, there is nothing available from MT with ax support, but availability is a big topic for every device currently
CRS326-24G-2S+RM: has no poe, how would you feed the CAPs?
rb5009: I am using it and it's great, I would not buy an 4011, but you could get the RB5009UPr+S+IN if you have no PoE switch

Reolink NVR: hmm this is an MT forum, besides I have no experience
Synology: same as before (But I use FreeNAS, lately changed it's name to Truenas core. It is great, if you want flexibility.)

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:42 pm

With standard switch you would use passive POE injectors to power the cAP's