Community discussions

MikroTik App

LinuxEngineer
just joined
Topic Author

Switching from "Quick Set" to "Webfig" busts connections

Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:23 pm

This has been driving me bananas for a while, but was hopeful at some point a future release would cure the issue, but the problem persists.

When I connect to my RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD 's IP, the default landing page is "Quick Set".

Since this is not a sensible default for general admin purposes, I'm forced to click "Webfig" to access the features I generally require.

As soon as I click "Webfig" to leave "Quick Set" the connection to the router busts.

However, if I bookmark a path directly to "Webfig" which avoids "Quick Set" such as "1.2.3.4/webfig/#IP:Firewall", then the problem disappears.

But if I use a bookmark to "1.2.3.4/webfig/" to go directly to webfig, I land in "Quick Set". Have to link to a specific feature.

Although I'm running RouterOS 7.6, this issue existed in RouterOS v6.

I checked if there was some way to set a preference for the default landing page in the "Webfig" settings, but there isn't.

Users are forced into the "Quick Set" section.

Although I have a hack setting the bookmark to a path outside of "Quick Set", can we expect any relief in respect to a fix in a future release?

Even just changing the default FROM "Quick Set" TO "Webfig" would make the fault largely invisible were it not fixed.

Anyhoo, not a show-stopper of a fault, but a persistent PITA for which just changing the landing page could improve usability.

MikroTik?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Switching from "Quick Set" to "Webfig" busts connections

Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:40 pm

Use winbox.......... ;-)

LinuxEngineer
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:41 pm

Use winbox.......... ;-)
This isn't a solution, it merely kicks to ball into the long grass to avoid dealing with the problem.

Although I LOVE WinBox, I use a Mac.

Previously I used the Winbox version MikroTik recommended with Winebottler and that broke due to OSX changes; that's how I came to start using Webfig.

I'm not going to keep wasting cycles looking for hacks to keep Winbox working on *nix platforms and I shouldn't be expected to.

MikroTik will save time & money maintaining a single interface instead of (2) if they can just get Webfig straight and users will all have a uniform interface to RouterOS.

If MikroTik could release Winbox ass a Docker App, well indeed, that would solve a lot of problems if all of the dependencies could be bundled into a container and raise it up with Docker Desktop- which BTW has really excellent support and regular releases.

Maybe this thread should be retitled:

"Webfig or Dockerized Winbox" ?!?!?

As a Mac user I could live with either, but as of today Webfig is really the only practical choice for me and just want some solution to the problem of switching from "Quick Set" to "Webfig" busting my connection to the router!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:43 pm

use winbox as @anav suggest, at least for upload the file...

edit and save default skin to remove quick set from menu

if you can't, create a file called default.json and copy it under /skin/ on.. winbox...
the file must have this content:
{ 'Quick Set': 0 }

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Hopefully a more universal winbox variant will be released in the near future, it was promised some time ago........

LinuxEngineer
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:49 pm

use winbox as @anav suggest, at least for upload the file...

edit and save default skin to remove quick set from menu

if you can't, create a file called default.json and copy it under /skin/ on.. winbox...
the file must have this content:
{ 'Quick Set': 0 }
I just clicked "Design Skin" and then unticked "Quick Set" and saved the default skin

Now Webfig lands in "Webfig" and the problem is avoided. Not fixed, but I get the reliability improvement so I'm happy.

Thanks!

foorschtbar
just joined

Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Thats a only workaround. I opend a ticket a year ago and recorded a video to show this bug, but nothing happend. :( It is a pity that the web interface is so poorly maintained.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:59 pm

I never encountered this, how does it manifest? Something changes in the config?