MikroTik App

Raf44
just joined
Topic Author

BGP - VPN4 - RR and routers in RoS6 / 7 : BGP attribute replication problem

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Hello,

I've been stumbling on a problem for the last 2 days:
I'm testing on a model of our infrastructure, a mix of BGP routers in RoS6 / RoS 7.
We have an operator infrastructure composed of about 30 routers of this kind, and the goal is to upgrade them from RoS 6 -> 7. Over a period that can take several weeks / months.
I have done several tests indicating that in our infrastructure context the routers upgraded to RoS7 were much more efficient than those remaining in RoS6.

All the routers are aware of their routes for different VRFs (VPN4 type route exchange) through Route Reflectors, due to their number, it is not possible to do full mesh.
The route reflectors are also in RoS6.

On these routers currently in RoS 6, we have a certain number of filters allowing us to "play" with the BGP communities and extended communities, to eliminate certain announcements, and to change priorities (distance / weight...)
Extended communities are applied on routes, automatically because their interfaces belong to a VRF, communities are clearly applied by matching filters.
We can see these parameters on the RR.

Persistent problem: on those of the model ugraded in RoS 7, I can not manage to set up the filters: all the routes received from one or more RR are of type "DAy": Dynamic - Active - copy; not being of type BGP, and it’s impossible to make match the filters on the communities

I tried to put the RRs in RoS 7, the problem remains the same, and we face a problem of unstable routes on the routers remaining in RoS 6 (incessant up/down).

Is there a parameter that I don't understand so that the routes are well reflected in BGP type ?
Do you know a solution to match the filters correctly ?
The updates of the routes / change of IP being very frequent, and the number of routes very important: it is not possible to create as many filters as destinations.

Many thanks !

Raf44
just joined
Topic Author

Re: BGP - VPN4 - RR and routers in RoS6 / 7 : BGP attribute replication problem

Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:48 pm

update :

I have tried to set up BGP sessions directly between routers (without route reflector), and the routes are still exchanged without their BGP attributes - they remain of type "copy".

Tests done also in last version 7.7 - beta6 : same problem

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Just confirming you have referenced the current documentation and understand the changes that were made with route filters. it's "completely" different in v7.

Raf44
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:48 pm

Even before talking about the filter itself, it has nothing to apply to, since the BGP attributes of communities / or extended communities are not replicated on the RR client router.
One of the purposes of a community is to be able to choose its exit router.
Here if the route is returned by an RR, this feature no longer exists.
I have other filters elsewhere that match OSPF without any problem, for example.