Community discussions

MikroTik App

yevpro
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik & Google Pixel 6A tethering

Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:53 pm

Hello! I am unable to share internet on google pixel 6a (android 13) via USB. The phone is recognized by router (hap ac lite), it is possible to turn on USB tethering, but LTE interface doesn't show up. I have tried different cables - doesn't work. I have tried to connect Google Pixel 5A - everything works.

What should i do?

acrophobic

Re: MikroTik & Google Pixel 6A tethering

Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:24 pm

Well, this is beyond my area of knowledge, but it feels like this might be an issue on the phone side of things. Have you tried sharing internet to another device, like a computer and if so, does that work?

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Probably some driver needs an update in RouterOS.
What RouterOS version are we talking about?

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:29 pm

I had a similar problem with a motorola fi phone. I upgraded to a newer version of the phone and lost the ability to tether. The tethering started working again when I upgraded the rOS to v7.x. If you are not running the current version of rOS I would upgrade to it.

yevpro
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:48 pm

Well, this is beyond my area of knowledge, but it feels like this might be an issue on the phone side of things. Have you tried sharing internet to another device, like a computer and if so, does that work?
Yes, i did try sharing by the same USB cable to PC - it works. I tried different mikrotik router - it doesnt.

yevpro
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:50 pm

Probably some driver needs an update in RouterOS.
What RouterOS version are we talking about?
Both devices are upgraded to latest versions:
RouterOS - 7.6
Android Version - 13.

And Google Pixel 5A with Android 13 work without any issues.

yevpro
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:52 pm

So i have tested on RouterOS 7.7 and Google Pixel 6a with Android 13, January 2023 security updates. Downgrading to RouterOS 6.49.X didnt help. Tethering is not working.
But USB tethering works great on Windows 11 PC. And tethering works on MikroTik with old Android 6 smartphone or Google Pixel 5A.

yevpro
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 pm

So i have tested on RouterOS 7.7 and Google Pixel 6a with Android 13, January 2023 security updates. Downgrading to RouterOS 6.49.X didnt help. Tethering is not working.
But USB tethering works great on Windows 11 PC. And tethering works on MikroTik with old Android 6 smartphone or Google Pixel 5A.
It appeared to be a RouterOS issue. I have updated to ROS 7.12 and the issue was resolved. Now USB tethering from Google Pixel 6A works fine.

home12knows
just joined

Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:48 pm

It seems like you're encountering an issue with USB tethering on your Google Pixel 6a when trying to share internet connectivity with your MikroTik router (hap ac lite). If the phone is recognized and USB tethering is enabled, yet the LTE interface isn't appearing, there could be a few potential solutions:

Check Compatibility: Ensure that your MikroTik router's firmware is updated to the latest version, as some older firmware versions might not support newer phone models.

Phone Settings: On your Google Pixel 6a, try resetting network settings or toggling Airplane mode on and off to re-establish connections. Also, verify if there are any specific settings related to USB tethering that might need adjustment.

Router Configuration: Access your router's settings and confirm whether there are any specific settings or configurations required for USB tethering with newer phone models. Sometimes, router settings might need adjustments for different devices.

USB Debugging: On your Pixel 6a, enable USB debugging in the Developer Options. This might potentially resolve compatibility issues with the router.

Contact Support: Reach out to MikroTik support or browse their forums for specific threads related to USB tethering issues with the Google Pixel 6a. Users might have encountered similar problems and found solutions.

Test with Different Devices: Try connecting the Pixel 6a to a different router or hotspot to determine if the issue persists. This can help isolate whether the problem is specific to the router or the phone.

Remember to ensure that you're using a reliable USB cable that supports data transfer. If none of these steps resolve the issue, contacting both Google Pixel and MikroTik support for further assistance might be helpful. - https://homeknows.net/floating-bed/Home Knows

mtz156
just joined

Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:10 am

I have updated to ROS 7.12 and the issue was resolved.
Thank you! This inspired me to check this out again for my Pixel 6 and I got it working today. As I recall, I previously had nothing showing up as an LTE interface for my Pixel 6, but a Samsung S22+ would work. Mikrotik must have added support for the LTE modems the newer Pixels use.