Community discussions

MikroTik App

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Lighting surge protector on LAN port - which one ?

Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:44 pm

This summer lighting surged through phone line, fried vDSL modem and my MT router through LAN port on which is vDSL modem was connected.
I need something efficient between vDSL modem and LAN port on my Mikrotik router.
Would GESP+POE-IN or GESP do the job ?
Also, something between incoming phone line and WAN port on vDSL modem would be desirable.
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks !

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Lighting surge protector on LAN port - which one ?

Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:26 am

Surge protector must be installed as close as possible to both the electrical source and the source of telephone cables.

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Surge protector must be installed as close as possible to both the electrical source and the source of telephone cables.
I'm not sure that I understood you completely.
I never ever had problems with surges across electrical wires (mostly because I use various UPS devices).
Main issue for me at the moment is telephone (vDSL) line. Only place I can install surge protector is between router and vDSL modem (LAN) or right before vDSL modem (phone line).

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:59 pm

Lightning protection can be tricky, as it will follow the path of least resistance, I always build my protection in layers for areas that are prone to this kind of damage.

For DSL I always put a surge suppressor on the phone line, I do the same for cable internet (but also directly ground the external cable shielding to the building earth ground directly, in addition to a coax surge suppressor). This will at least help protect the modem from damage.

Additionally, it's good to put a network surge suppressor between the modem and router, just in case something is so strong it gets though the modem (and it's surge protection) to protect the router. The ones listed above would be just fine.

If you also get power surges from storms, a good mains surge suppressor would be a good idea (I usually just use one of the small plugin modules, to put in front of a Power Bar or UPS). To mine I also add a UPS to make sure everything stays running if the power goes out for short periods (it's a bit excessive to have both, but I would rather have the inexpensive mains suppressor get damaged than the UPS in a large spike).

Note: make sure all your grounds are good, test them to make sure they are properly connected.