Community discussions

MikroTik App

lepluc
just joined
Topic Author

Multiple cAp Lite to cover whole house

Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi,
a youtuber talked just in passing that he used (mikrotik) to cover his house with wifi access. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that he could move from different part of the house without having to log on to a different repeater as you do with the repeater that I have tested so far. So if my assumption is correct how do I go about setting it up. Regardless of if it's possible or not, please be specific. I'm 73 years old and the upstairs department is kind of slow these days :-).

Thanks
Richard

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple cAp Lite to cover whole house

Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 pm

The answer is CAPSMAN, your next mate :)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... sMAN_setup

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Hi,
a youtuber talked just in passing that he used (mikrotik) to cover his house with wifi access. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that he could move from different part of the house without having to log on to a different repeater as you do with the repeater that I have tested so far. So if my assumption is correct how do I go about setting it up. Regardless of if it's possible or not, please be specific. I'm 73 years old and the upstairs department is kind of slow these days :-).

Thanks
Richard
Hi Richard,

What is your current router, yes it's possible but I would not recommend a cAP Lite for this task as it will be slow.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:58 pm

What is your current router, yes it's possible but I would not recommend a cAP Lite for this task as it will be slow.
It depends on the outgoing link and what you want to do internally.
I had a setup with cAP AC and cAP Lite in a vacation house where the outgoing connection was 8mb tops via SXT LTE (on a VERY GOOD day I should add, usually max 6Mb).
No internal copying of data, just light web browsing, mail checking, etc etc.
cAP Lite is plenty enough for such situations.

Some people seem to disregard 2GHz wifi (and related speeds) are sometimes more than sufficient.
The need for speed isn't always the correct path.