Community discussions

MikroTik App

rz1
just joined
Topic Author

Setting up newly bought Mikrotik Router

Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:03 am

Hello everyone,
I just bought a hAP ac3 and I plan to use and switch the router I'm currently using. And it's my first time dealing with this kind of router.

Here's the setup that I have for now,
  1. Internet modem
  2. hAP ac3
  3. Switch
I used winbox. I did a reset on the router, no default configuration.
At first, I used quick set to set everything. Added IP, Gateway, DNS etc. Double checked everything and after that, I didn't get an internet connection so I did a reset on the router again.
I manually configured the router without using quick set. Bridge then adding ports, addresses for ether1 (wan), bridge (local ip), DNS, dhcp server (no dns added there), gateway, NAT. And got a problem with the DHCP Client. ether1 is stuck on searching. If I use quick set, dhcp client gets disabled.

I followed the documentation, and some youtube videos on how to set this thing up. But it doesn't work for me. I might be doing it wrong.
I'm here for some help and I'm quite disappointed in myself that I can't even fix the problem or what's causing it.

Thanks everyone.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Setting up newly bought Mikrotik Router

Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:28 am

Hereby my tips:
  • Don't use Quickset
  • Use default configuration
  • When posting a topic, supply as much relevant information as possible
Can you please start with default configuration and check if it works?
If you attach a computer on the networkcable that is connected to the WAN port of the MT, do you get an IP address?

rz1
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:09 am

Can you please start with default configuration and check if it works?
If you attach a computer on the networkcable that is connected to the WAN port of the MT, do you get an IP address?

Sorry about that and I'm new to the forum. But I will try to provide any information needed.
I did a reset again on the router as you stated, with default configuration.
A network cable was at WAN port of the router connected to my laptop and I've gained an autoconfig ip address.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:54 am

As shown in the CMD prompt, your computer doesn't get an IP address as well. That makes me believe that it is not MikroTik related.

Some ISP's do require some patience before handing out an IP address to a "new" mac address. At least reboot modem (or better leave it powered off for a while) when connecting the new router.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 pm

Move your network cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports and if your router is reset to factory defaults then your computer should get an IP from the router. From the the factory default you should be able to start using the router and getting familiar with it. It is best to use Winbox.exe rather than fight with the Webfig interface.

Your internet modem is what should be plugged into the WAN port.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:17 am

Move your network cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports and if your router is reset to factory defaults then your computer should get an IP from the router. From the the factory default you should be able to start using the router and getting familiar with it. It is best to use Winbox.exe rather than fight with the Webfig interface.

nah guy, you dont want the factory default if its just switching, what i would do is wipe the device, this time to do configuration. I would then connect back into the router using winbox as it would allow me to connect through mac address as the device will have no IP address on it from me basting the configuration.
From there I would look to the main menu on the left hand side and then go into the bridge menu, in this menu from the first tab named bridge I would click the plus button, I would then click ok as soon as the new window opened as I would know that I dont have to set anything for this to work and the name is just an identifier I dont need to worry about.

From back in the bridge menu, I would go to the port tab then proceed by clicking the plus button and adding each of my interfaces that I want 'switched' to the same bridge.
After this I would go to the main menu and go to IP>DHCP-Client and from there I would add one to the bridge interface for management :)

rz1
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:40 am

I do get a local IP from the router if the cable is connected to LAN port. I'm using Winbox also to configure the router to get internet access.

Internet cable from modem box is connected to ether1 (WAN). I have configured the settings manually on the router, but after that I don't get any internet access. Waited for few minutes, DHCP client is still searching. That's the problem. I'm not sure if I have configured the router wrong or there are other reasons for this.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:23 pm

If you plug the ethernet cable from the modem directly into your computer does the computer get a public IP from the modem and does the computer have internet? If that doesn't work then you should talk to your ISP.

If the above does get you internet then you should post your configuration. Someone on the forum will be able to tell you why you aren't getting internet and you DHCP Client is left searching. See instructions below.

From the terminal window enter "/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwant".
Download the file to your computer.
Open the file in your text editor and copy the text.
In your post select "code display" [ ] and paste the text in
If you don't want to post your configuration then start with the router at factory defaults. The router should work and get you internet if you have the cable modem plugged into the WAN port.

Do the basic modifications you need for security; Login password, Wifi Password. The default firewall should keep out unwanted access. From here you can start figuring out what you need to add or remove to the default configuration to end up with what you want.