Community discussions

MikroTik App

josser
just joined
Topic Author

HAP ax^2 accidental drop all wifi connections

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:51 am

Hi!
Got some odd issue with my new hap ax^2.

At some time it drops all wifi clients. Wire clients continue working as expected.

Here is what I see in logs:
Знімок екрана_20221115_114719.png
Configuration is very simple:

# nov/15/2022 11:57:43 by RouterOS 7.6
# software id = X35J-1274
#
# model = C52iG-5HaxD2HaxD
# serial number = HD8083KAHAX
/interface bridge
add add-dhcp-option82=yes dhcp-snooping=yes name=bridge1
/interface wifiwave2 security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk disable-pmkid=no encryption=ccmp,gcmp,ccmp-256,gcmp-256 name=auto wps=disable
/interface wifiwave2
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.frequency=5725-5990 configuration.country=Ukraine .mode=ap .ssid=josser-airnet disabled=no security=auto
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration.country=Ukraine .mode=ap .ssid=josser-airnet-slow disabled=no security=auto
/port
set 0 name=serial0
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=all trusted=yes
/ip dhcp-client
add interface=bridge1
/ip ssh
set strong-crypto=yes
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Kiev
/system identity
set name=josser-airnet
/system logging
add topics=wireless,debug
/tool bandwidth-server
set enabled=no

Any advices how to debug the reason?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

josser
just joined
Topic Author

Re: HAP ax^2 accidental drop all wifi connections

Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:30 am

Sorry for bumping, but am I alone with this issue? Not so much ax2 owners still?
Maybe somebody can help to debug it, so If its not just me, I can send good bug report to mikrotik?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:00 pm

I've not really looked into the specific log messages, but I'm seeing the same thing on my hAP ax2 devices using 7.6 and 7.7beta6.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm

I don't have a hAP AX2 to compare... but if you restart the radio interface (disable then enable) does everything reconnect then?

hoeser
just joined

Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:18 am

For what it's worth - sounds like +1 on this issue.

I have a Hap Ax2 and it has been pretty much a total nightmare. Right from day one the wireless radios would both disappear - disabling and re-enabling would bring them back. I opened a support ticket and I was told that the radio interfaces "experienced and issue and then didn't restart properly" - I was sent a beta build of 7.7 which then bricked the radios entirely. I was sent another build of 7.7 that brought the radios into a state of being unjoinable, by any client. It's now stuck in this state. Haven't bothered trying a reset as its been so unstable on any build that it's not even worth using. Going to go back to the audience I had in my office and return this thing.

zhanghuanjie
just joined

Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:41 am

I encouter this problem with macbook pro 2017 with hAP ax^2, while macbook pro m1 and other IOT devices are OK.

A macbook pro 2017 got disconnected random when connected to hAP ax2.
And the wifi in the macbook pro 2017 is "dead" after disconnect, it could not see any SSID around.
The only way to recover wifi is disable and then enable wifi, it can work for a while, then "dead" again.

It seems this is macbookpro 2017 wifi bug, does other user encounter this strange problem?

Rox169

Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:21 am

Hi,

I do not have this problem. My HAP AX is rock solid for 14 days already. It is my main home roter with Zerotier, CAKE, firewall, atc. Very good coverage and speed. Better processor power about 20% more than Audience.

josser
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:50 pm

I don't have a hAP AX2 to compare... but if you restart the radio interface (disable then enable) does everything reconnect then?
Yep, restart bring everything back.
I encouter this problem with macbook pro 2017 with hAP ax^2, while macbook pro m1 and other IOT devices are OK.

And the wifi in the macbook pro 2017 is "dead" after disconnect, it could not see any SSID around.
The only way to recover wifi is disable and then enable wifi, it can work for a while, then "dead" again.

It seems this is macbookpro 2017 wifi bug, does other user encounter this strange problem?
It doesn't matter what kind of devices are connected to wifi. It drop ALL devices at the same time. Both 2.4 and 5ghz.

zhanghuanjie
just joined

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:57 am

After change wifi setting as viewtopic.php?t=190651
It's OK now

majky
just joined

Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:20 am

I’m experiencing the same on my ax2, wireless radios are shutdown randomly on 7.6, tried latest beta 7.7 and it then makes them unjoinable.

It looks to be happening randomly, it was stable for 2 weeks and now I got it twice in 3 days.

I havent tried disabling and enabling radios, will try that next time, so far restart solved the issue just fine but its getting annoying. Looks like wifiwave2 is still far from perfection, but I hope for the fix coming soon.

kbaras
just joined

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi!

I have the very same issue! Both 2,4 and 5Ghz transmission stops working all of a sudden. I have noticed two things:
- it does not come back on its own
- if I open the wifi connection from WinBox, start a scan and then close the window, then the wifi network is immediately restarted (maybe there is no need to start a scan at all but I have tried this sequence only and it is reproducible with this - I mean the restart, not the problem itself).
- in th debug log there is no reference to the problem it only records that wifi connection lost and later that it is connected...

I have a lot of issues with this device... I have bought it as everybody recommended it but it is a huge disappointment so far...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:34 pm

.. I have bought it as everybody recommended it but it is a huge disappointment so far...
Who recommended it? No one pointed out that it was a FIRST OF?

apow
just joined

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm

in my case, torching the wifi interface seems to bring it back to life

josser
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 am

The problem returns after 7.9 update

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 08, 2023 12:05 pm

It doesn't matter what kind of devices are connected to wifi. It drop ALL devices at the same time. Both 2.4 and 5ghz.
It does matter. One device could cause the issue, then router driver crashes and drops everyone.
We have seem some issues with a windows laptop waking from sleep, with intel driver. See if the issue repeats in specific scenario or not.

PeterXC
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 pm

It does matter. One device could cause the issue, then router driver crashes and drops everyone.
We have seem some issues with a windows laptop waking from sleep, with intel driver. See if the issue repeats in specific scenario or not.
Yeah yeah yeah, it is always someone else, not MT state-of-the-art software and hardware,

Anyway, I had a similar issue on ax3, starting after sw upgrade to rc2 or rc3, can't recall. After the stable 7.9 upgrade, it remained and was very annoying.
What helped in my case: export full config, restore to default, move configuration from export to the router (I did a manual copy/paste), and reload.
No changes in the config. Just redo starting from a default one. No issues since the change.

densenator
just joined

Fri May 12, 2023 10:28 am

I turned off sleeping mode of my laptop with intel driver. And issue is repeat in time as I view youtube at this device...
Maybe disable-pmkid is helped for this issue, but i don't know. Because I have many different devices and I do not fully understand how this function works.

josser
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 13, 2023 9:26 pm

I don't think this particular issue is somehow related to client device, as it has been fixed in 7.5 or 7.6 (not sure)
And now it's back in 7.9
Clients are all the same

bismerk
just joined

Thu May 25, 2023 9:27 am

I have the same issue on 7.9 firmware, with no reason Wi-Fi connections were released in the middle of the night. Is the development team have this bug committed to the backlog, or I need to revert to hap ac2?
Last edited by bismerk on Thu May 25, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:36 pm

Downgrade to 7.8
Seems the issue is still not fixed, not even in 7.10.

josser
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:15 pm

I've upgraded to 7.10,
uptime: 3d26m7s
still no drops

So, maybe this time it's something else or not related to original issue.
And I have two ax2 with totally different configuration / env.
1: bridge, about 10 clients, some are apple devices, mixed wired / wireless
2: router, about 5 devices, PC + android clients

Both, previously had no issues until 7.9, both looks fixed after 7.10
However, 3d is still not enough. 7.9 may work for week w/o drop.

randomName2
just joined

Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:07 am

I've upgraded to 7.10,
uptime: 3d26m7s
still no drops

Hi, did you manage to fix the issue?

Lemmers
just joined

Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:33 pm

Hi, did you manage to fix the issue?
Yes, this issue was resolved in 7.10 (source: I was experiencing the same problem).

viewtopic.php?t=197095
What's new in 7.10.2 (2023-Jul-12 12:45):

*) wifiwave2 - fixed interface hangs on IPQ6010-based boards (introduced in v7.9);

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:19 pm

So it took roughly 9 months to get a fix?

kravemir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:26 am

Yeah yeah yeah, it is always someone else, not MT state-of-the-art software and hardware,
Maybe he just missed the intent in the explanation. It does matter to help investigate what's going on.

It doesn't matter from qualify of router perspective. The router should be resilient against client devices not adhering to the protocol and standards - malfunctioning, rogue or malware-infected devices.

However, router can be robust enough only to the extent of what's expected behaviour according to protocol specification, including security holes the protocol contains.

A client device can also be performing disassociation attacks, which are attacks that target holes in the 802.11 Wi-Fi protocol. And, I don't think there's something a router can do about.

In this case, it was software bug, though.