Community discussions

MikroTik App

RaviB
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik audience capsman

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 pm

I currently have a setup with a routerboard (with capsman) and cap ac xl. If I put MikroTik audience in a different place, can I connect it wirelessly to capsman?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik audience capsman

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:29 pm

Discovery interface can be wireless interface. So yes, it can be done. Just keep in mind that you can't use capsman to provision the discovery interface. But then you'll probably configured that interface in client mode which I don't suppose is supported by capsman anyway.

Also keep in mind that wifiwave2 driver (which fully unleashes power of audience's radios) only works with the new capsman (released in v7.7rc), not with the old one (available in v6). At the same time the new capsman only works with wifiwave2 driven cap clients.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:14 pm

Also keep in mind that wifiwave2 driver (which fully unleashes power of audience's radios)...
I swear I burst out laughing when I saw that.

However I had no idea that 7.7 was going to put WAVE2 Drivers into use.

So that issue with 2.4 clients I contacted support about, that CAME BACK in the most recent RouterOS... will now be available in caps-man systems. Ohh joy.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:48 pm

However I had no idea that 7.7 was going to put WAVE2 Drivers into use.

I don't know what exactly you mean by this sentence. Wifiwave2 drivers work pretty fine on my audience since around 7.2, wireless performance is pretty decent (much better than with "stock" drivers). Whether this performance satisfies one's expectations then depends on expectatikbs, mine obviously aren't that high :wink:

I'm kind of sad because of what MT staff wrote about capsman2 so far ... I'd like to use capsman to provision all of my wireless devices (audience is the only wave2 one, the rest are legacy) and I'd really like to see 802.11 r/k/v work between all of them. Still hoping to see wave2 driver running on my 256MB RAM hAP ac2 ...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:31 pm

I mean I had no idea they were going to get WAVE2 into caps-man already.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:47 pm

v7.7beta is supposedly already there. Currently the new CAPsMAN doesn't work with CAPs running legacy wireless driver ... MT said that they are thinking about supporting those (initial response was that both worlds will be separate forever). So yes, we seem to head for interesting future on this front.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 pm

By interesting... I hope that means that a WiFi6 WAP could be caps-man controlled. Ohh and not have all the issues that drove me screaming from Mikrotik Wireless.