MikroTik App

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

No internetconnection on hapax2 if I connect to hapac2

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:30 am

Hello everyone,
I got a new hapax2-Router. I wanted to have internet access with that. The challange is to connect the new Router(hapax2) to the already used hapac2-Router, which already is connected to a company network where the hapac2 gets the internet access. I added some attachments to understand my problems and my setup better.
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

The hapax2 is connected via ethernet to hapac2 so I can get access to both routers with winbox. The hapac2 is connected to a company network via wifi. I wanted to have a wireless connection from hapax2 to hapac2 so the hapax2 gets the same internet connection.
I do not even have internet connection over the ethernet. And the worst thing is that sometimes the hapac2 has no internet connection and makes problems if its plugged in via ethernet with hapax2. Normally it never made such problems.
I think there is maybe a dhcp problem here, but I do not know how to solve that problem.
MicrosoftTeams-image (3).png
I tried to make with wifi1 of hapax2 a connection with giving him the ssid of the hapac2, but it does not work either.
MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png
I am sorry, but I am new to this and maybe I did some stupid mistakes. It would be very helpfull, if there is some knowing how to solve my issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: No internetconnection on hapax2 if I connect to hapac2

Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:12 pm

Default mode, configured on new hAP ax2, is (most probably) "Home AP dual" which uses wireless as part of LAN. The scenario you described requires mode "CPE" which uses (one of?) wireless as WAN interface. Simply changing mode of a radio to client (instead of AP) doesn't do the trick because it's still considered part of LAN, so routing and firewalling doesn't kick in.

Read more about different Quick Set modes.

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm

Default mode, configured on new hAP ax2, is (most probably) "Home AP dual" which uses wireless as part of LAN. The scenario you described requires mode "CPE" which uses (one of?) wireless as WAN interface. Simply changing mode of a radio to client (instead of AP) doesn't do the trick because it's still considered part of LAN, so routing and firewalling doesn't kick in.

Read more about different Quick Set modes.

The only possible option I have there is the Home AP Dual as you said but nothing else. On my hapac2 I automatically have very much options under quicksets. How do I change that mode to cpe on hapax2 under quicksets or add the component cpe.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:17 pm

You can't add "components" to Quick Set mode portfolio. If it's not there, then you'll have to do the config manually. It's not easy task though. Perhaps you can start with Home AP dual, which makes ether1 to be WAN interface. Then the steps are roughly the following:
  1. determine which wireless interface you want to use as upstream to connect to hAP ac2. Remove that interface from list of bridge ports
  2. configure said interface as station - client to hAP ac2. Enter correct SSID and wireless key.
  3. configure DHCP client on that wireless interface. I suggest you to create a new DHCP client (and not changing settings of existing one)
  4. add wireless interface to interface list named WAN
  5. optionally:
    • remove ether1 from interface list WAN
    • remove DHCP client from ether1
    • add ether1 to list of bridge ports
If you decide not to do the steps in item #5 above, the benefit will be that you will be then able to use both wireless intetface and ether1 as WAN interface (having both active at the same time can misbehave though). The drawback is one less ether port usable for LAN.

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:49 pm

At first, I want to thank you a lot for your advice. I am a beginner to this whole topic, and I misunderstood my task. I want to show you a problem, where you or someone else could be very helpful.
I am operating on RouterOS v7.7beta6 and configure everything after the default reset.
I want to connect my hapax2-Router to a WIFI Network. In this example to an Android Smartphone Hotspot like this:

Here is the configuration of the hotspot from the android smartphone:

With the Scan tool I can find the android smartphone hotspot:

I gave the following commands in the terminal to configure wifi1:
/interface/wifiwave2/ set 1 configuration.mode=station 
/interface/wifiwave2/ set 1 configuration.ssid=”vv”
/interface/wifiwave2/ set 1 configuration.country=Germany 
/interface/wifiwave2/ set 1 security.authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk 
/interface/wifiwave2/ set 1 security.encryption=tkip 
/interface/wifiwave2/ set 1 security.passphrase=”xxx”
After that configuration the status is on “scanning” not on “connected” and I cannot connect to the host/network:

How do I connect the hapax2-Router as in this example to an android smartphone hotspot to get access to the internet with the router? Unfortunally the mikrotik documentation how to set up station mode is not good.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:45 pm

AP running in WPA2-personal most often means authentication-types=wpa2-psk and encryption=ccmp ... tkip was used in WPA (first generation). Since it is possible to allow multiple encryption types (and allow AP and client to agree on a commonly supported one), I suggest you to set encryption=ccmp,tkip.

Ca6ko

Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:14 pm

With the Scan tool I can find the android smartphone hotspot:
Double-click on the line with the desired network and in the window that opens click on the Connect button
If the password is correctly saved beforehand, the connection will be established

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 am

Wait a moment, I haven't read the whole topic, because already from the beginning:

wifiwave2 ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT SUPPORT any 4-MAC wifi mode, like the standard drivers,
this means that the device can act exclusively as an AP without WDS / bridging / preudobridging or other functions that are not access-points and that's it.

Have you already thought about it???

So translated: Can only provide "wifi" when coming from ethernet.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... stfeatures
Lost features
The following notable features of the bundled wireless package do not yet have equivalents in the wifiwave2 package
Station-bridging or other 4-address modes
Nstreme and Nv2 wireless protocols

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:33 am

Thank you for the information.
But there are some things I do not understand.
Why is it possible to make a station mode in the Wi-Fi-configuration?
Why should be the lost modes not in the hapax2?
For me it is kind of a step backwards.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:55 am

I haven't tried it because for me it's useless, but with local-station mode you can provide internet only to the device itself,
but to be distributed to other devices it has to be reNATted again, and not directly "passed" as with station-bridge or other ways that use wds or 4MAC extension.

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:08 pm

AP running in WPA2-personal most often means authentication-types=wpa2-psk and encryption=ccmp ... tkip was used in WPA (first generation). Since it is possible to allow multiple encryption types (and allow AP and client to agree on a commonly supported one), I suggest you to set encryption=ccmp,tkip.
I tried but it did not made a difference.
Double-click on the line with the desired network and in the window that opens click on the Connect button
If the password is correctly saved beforehand, the connection will be established
I doubleclicked but I got no new window or anything. Nothing happend.
I haven't tried it because for me it's useless, but with local-station mode you can provide internet only to the device itself,
but to be distributed to other devices it has to be reNATted again, and not directly "passed" as with station-bridge or other ways that use wds or 4MAC extension.
Here is the setup that worked so far without any problems on the hapac2:

The main target of our Router is to share the wifi of wlan1 via natting to wlan2. Thereby the attached devices are connected to the network if they get connected to wlan1, which is the access point. Wlan2 is in station mode and is connected to other networks as in this example to a hotspot. This setup got used in different vehicles with different projects and always worked for the tasks we needed. My Problem is that I want to use the hapax2 Router the same way as the hapac2 Router, but there is no mode for that configuration so far.
I want to know, if there is any possibility to make the same or a similar setup with the hapax2 or do I just have to wait for new updates to get the needed functions on the hapax2?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:27 pm

I already explained the necessary steps in post #4 above. If the solution from post #2 is really not available (I don't have hAP ax2 to check myself).

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:49 pm

I already explained the necessary steps in post #4 above. If the solution from post #2 is really not available (I don't have hAP ax2 to check myself).
I tried it many times with different networks. Does not work too.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 pm

With the amount of feedback you provided it's very hard to guess what is wrong (most probably something in your config).

karaYusuf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:48 pm

I think in this whole thing the quoted line is the case here why it does not work. It would be very great, If there is someone knowing for sure a way to use the hapax2-Router the way I need and described in earlier posts. I thank all of you who helped me with this topic and the people who are maybe willing to help me in future. :)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:42 pm

As usual what I wrote 3 days ago is ignored until one realizes that it is that way...

Use one cable
or
buy another device than can connect by WDS or station-bidge to hapaC2 and use it as transparent bridge (switch) between hapaC2 wifi and hapaX2 ethernet.