Community discussions

MikroTik App

kashifmax
Topic Author

Specific domain/web only works via VPN

Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:16 pm

Hi,
I have a website (let's say "test.domain.com"). When I try to access it, it doesn't open but when I use VPN then it opens perfectly. I checked the domain name (and public IP ISP) if it is listed in blacklist but everything is fine.
Is some sort of rule is needed in Mikrotic? Any info will be helpful.
Thank you

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Specific domain/web only works via VPN

Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:22 pm

Your public IP might be listed on the webserver, where the VPN public IP address isn't? Is it a public webserver? What error do you get?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:03 pm

Also try a traceroute.

I was working on a job where we couldn't see the cameras at a site. I could see it from my house. But id didn't work from the office or customer's home.

Ended up being a problem at the ISP level.

SO don't rule that out without a traceroute.

kashifmax
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Thank you all.
I will check first DNS, will perform traceroute(tracert) and will tell you the results.

kashifmax
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Your public IP might be listed on the webserver, where the VPN public IP address isn't? Is it a public webserver? What error do you get?
Thank you for your reply.
The web is hosted on a cloud (vps). Will perform some test advised by other members.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Specific domain/web only works via VPN  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:19 pm

Is the Mikrotik standing between the website and the internet? And does that Mikrotik act as a server for the VPN through which you can get to the website? If that is the case, post the current configuration of the Mikrotik, obfuscating the serial number and public IP addresses - see my automatic signature below.

If the Mikrotik is at client side, it is unlikely that the issue is at its side, but not excluded - again, cannot be said without seeing the configuration.