Community discussions

MikroTik App

PiDe
just joined
Topic Author

All works fine, but no ping outside

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:58 pm

I'm begginer. I've followed a youtube video on configuring a LoadBalancer (2 Wan Links, 1 Lan Link). All devices at home work perfect, fast, stable. But two things are not acting as expected: 1: On <Tools>, <Ping> when giving any valid address (that is responding to ping on any connected device) thru any WAN interface, all I receive is 100% of packet loss.
2: On <System> <Packages> <Check for updates> I receive the message "ERROR: could not resolve dns name"
Point is that I have not a single error on the LAN/WLAN devices, broadcasting Webinars, connecting thru any SW (Teams, Webex, Zoom, Blujeans, Meets, you name it), browsing....

I would expect that a simple Ping to a given address (I mean IP address, not name that requires (DNS) translation) should go whatever the configuration is on the Routerboard (in my case a 750GL with OS 7.6). Am I thinking too simple ?

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: All works fine, but no ping outside

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:17 pm

What ere exact addresses you are trying to ping and from where??

PiDe
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:36 pm

What ere exact addresses you are trying to ping and from where??
Acessing Mikrotik console from a browser (http://192.168.0.1/webfig/#Tools:Ping) on any PC connected to the LAN where the Mikrotik is the gateway, message on the console is 100% packet loss. Doesn't matter what IP I try to ping, the PC on the LAN is able to ping (no packet loss) but from Mikrotik console is 100% loss on both WAN ports.
Pinging from the same Mikrotik console any LAN device (obviously including the PC where I'm seeing the console trhu it's browser) works perfect (obviously trhu the LAN port).

What I mean is that Mikrotik is perfectly serving the LAN devices but not itself.

Another issue I'm facing that may have the same root cause is updating the Mikrotik. When I go (thru the same console) to <System> <Packages> to check for an Update it says "ERROR: could not resolve dns name". But no devices in the LAN suffers DNS (or any) failure.
I'm sure it must be something very basic that I should be ashamed of not having noticed yet.
Many thanks for helping me on this.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:08 am

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:47 pm

What I mean is that Mikrotik is perfectly serving the LAN devices but not itself.
Mikrotik is "serving LAN" as a switch, there is nothing clever about it

I asked "frim where you are trying your ping because I expected to understand where exactly is the problem. but you missunderstood...
So, 1. Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from routers console -> if YES, nice, you have connectivity, if NO, check your Internet connection step by step
2.. can you ping apple.com, or ibm.com or cnn.com from routers console -> if YES, excellent you have working DNS configuratio... if NO - check DNS settings
3. can you ping your router from PC in local network if YES, excellent if NO something is wrong between them
4. can you ping 8.8.8.8 from PC in your local network -> if YES, we would not vasting time right now, if NO, you are probably missing NAT configuration...

Now can you see the purpose of my question?

PiDe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:30 am

I asked "frim where you are trying your ping because I expected to understand where exactly is the problem. but you missunderstood...
So, 1. Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from routers console -> if YES, nice, you have connectivity, if NO, check your Internet connection step by step
2.. can you ping apple.com, or ibm.com or cnn.com from routers console -> if YES, excellent you have working DNS configuratio... if NO - check DNS settings
3. can you ping your router from PC in local network if YES, excellent if NO something is wrong between them
4. can you ping 8.8.8.8 from PC in your local network -> if YES, we would not vasting time right now, if NO, you are probably missing NAT configuration...

Hi satman1w, thanks for your reply. Answering your questions:
1. NO, from the router console I can't ping 8.8.8.8.
2. NO, from the router console I can't ping google.com
3. YES, I can ping the router from any PC on the local network
4. YES, I can ping 8.8.8.8 or google.com from any PC on the local network.
4a. Yes, I should waste time right now because I can't , for example, update the router in the standard way (it does not find mikrotik.com). So the router not serving itself poses limitations.
Now, can you see the purpose of my question?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:48 am

It's easier and more helpful to just post the config from your router... See @anav's above link for details.

This sounds like your firewall isn't configured to allow icmp on input (or output).

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 am

Hi satman1w, thanks for your reply. Answering your questions:
1. NO, from the router console I can't ping 8.8.8.8.
2. NO, from the router console I can't ping google.com
3. YES, I can ping the router from any PC on the local network
4. YES, I can ping 8.8.8.8 or google.com from any PC on the local network.
4a. Yes, I should waste time right now because I can't , for example, update the router in the standard way (it does not find mikrotik.com). So the router not serving itself poses limitations.
Now, can you see the purpose of my question?
O.K. so you obviously don't have internet connectivity!

What kind of service you have? ADSL or something else?