Community discussions

MikroTik App

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Zerotier Controller, theirs or yours

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:27 pm

Been using Zerotier for a few months now. Whenever I had to deal with an install behind carrier grade Nat... easy answer.

If there were devices on the network that can only be managed or sent to via broadcasts... zerotier made that work too.

My L2TP VPN between my in-laws and my house seemed to break after I updated to 7.6.
Switched Wireguard... that works great! I can't cram a VXLAN in it... well maybe I didn't try hard enough..

But then I decided I wanted to try zerotier on their router.
After reading the help doc here : https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/ZeroTier
I got curious about the self hosted controller.

Took a few tries... and I needed to update them to 7.6... but now their zerotier shows as the controller.
I authorized my computer and phone. Set the router to allow bridging and set the right IP scope.

I have broadcasts. SWEET!!!

Now the question is... how many of us are self hosting our controllers?

I am always worried about not paying for a service, and becoming reliant on it. Because when it goes away because they don't make money... I am left looking for a new answer.

The next question would be... do you set up a router to be a controller at your office then keep adding networks?
Or
Keep it on Zerotier's paid service?

Just looking for opinions and ideas.