Community discussions

MikroTik App

andyDoeNet
just joined
Topic Author

Slow Device after upgrading from 6.x to 7.6, anything we can do to improve?

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:56 pm

Hi there,

we have a couple of old devices for example RB SXT 5HPnD with 400 MHz MIPS 24Kc V7.4 and 32.0 MiB Memory which gets nearly unresponsive after upgrading to Version 7. Mainly because of 100% CPU usage even if it is not doing anything.
I saw some other posts in different new Version announcement posts but no real solution.

I know these devices are quite old but is there any way to get them running with v7?

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Slow Device after upgrading from 6.x to 7.6, anything we can do to improve?

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:42 am

The question is: at the moment are there any new features that are on v7, that you need now on your older devices?
if not, please keep 6.48.x and the device will be OK.

you could netinstall v7 to better use flash disk inside your device, to avoid issues due to low storage.
If it is a older device where you DONT need any new features, you can happily keep the v6.

andyDoeNet
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:12 am

some of the new features like the rest api and wireguard are nice to have and also a uniform network but i think i need to stick to v6 longer or maybe ultimately on the older devices.

low storage is not the issue as far as i can tell (110 MiB free from 128), memory is around 5MiB free from 32 but i think what it really slows down is 100% cpu all the time
management via winbox is also not possible, only via ssh

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:25 am

Mips device on itself should be no problem.
E.g. I have an SXT LTE6 (MIPSBE) running ROS7 just fine BUT it has 64Mb RAM. Maybe the problem is there ?

If you really want to use V7, what helps for some when they see this:
- make full export of your config (CHECK the output so no critical info is missing)
- netinstall device to required ROS7 version
- import config again via terminal making sure to omit those parts already having a default in ROS7.

A bit of juggling with multiple screens, I know but quite doable.
Reason behind this approach: some behind-the-scene settings from ROS6 are different in ROS7 and not handled properly when upgrading. This is the only way to clean those little buggers.
It's also a recommended approach when moving from Ros6 to version to version to version ... and then certain things stop working all of a sudden.
Clean base is the best way to make sure nothing like this is happening.

But it could very well be you may have to stay on ROS6 because of that memory limit.