MikroTik App

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

IPv6 gateway by RA - possible?

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi all,

Got a v7.6 ROS x86 box hosted somewhere and need to add IPv6. The address is static (say "2001:DB8::1/64"), but the gateway is dynamic and defined by a RA.

In Debian, this is achieved simply by the following /etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet6 static
        address 2001:DB8::1/64
and then permitting the appropriate icmpv6 traffic through the firewall.

The ROS documentation is a bit ambiguous - it doesn't explicitly say that this is possible, but it alludes to it. I've set the same static up in ROS and played with all the ND and ipv6 settings and can see the RA traffic arriving in a packet sniff, but I'm not getting an ipv6 gateway.

So, before I spend any more time on this, is what I want to do possible?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 gateway by RA - possible?

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 pm

The default IPv6 settings include forward=yes and accept-router-advertisements=yes-if-forwarding-disabled so if you are forwarding you need to set accept-router-advertisements=yes, otherwise forward=no if the Mikrotik is just an endpoint rather than router.

Received router advertisments are not displayed by RouterOS, as discussed in other forum posts. Not sure if this is fixed in recent versions of ROS v7, and obtaining a gatway from RAs was completely broken in earler releases of ROS v7.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 gateway by RA - possible?

Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:52 pm

7.6 shows SLAAC address (if it's autonomous subnet). I thought that I saw also gateway, but I don't see it now, so maybe I was mistaken. Remaining (and actually new compared to v6) problem is that changing accept-router-advertisements needs reboot to work (it's probably bug).