Community discussions

MikroTik App

atuxnull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Extend my LAN

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:14 pm

in the basement of my house there is no cabling for ethernet and i would like to connect a few devices. There is sufficient coverage over the 1st floor wifi, but i have to attach some evices over wired.so i bought a hap mini lite in order to configured to get over the wifi to my main 1st floor wifi. Through its ethernet ports i would like to have all 3 of them as switch. I do not want to do NAT on this device, rather attach my Wifi to ethernet network with the same subnet.
i am stuck on what to choose from the wizard.Image
Some help please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kelotz
just joined

Re: Extend my LAN

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:20 am

Powerline Network Adapters might work.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:19 am

A deal-breaking question: the main AP, what vendor is it? If it's Mikrotik, then your setup is doable (but not using QuickSet wizard). If it's any other vendor then you'll have to go with other vendor's wireless device as downstairs end of wireless bridge.

atuxnull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:21 am

the main wifi is an ISPs router (unbranded).
so you are telling me that i could not use the hap mini as a repeater?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:45 am

so you are telling me that i could not use the hap mini as a repeater?
It may work, or it may not. The thing is that the WiFi standard did not expect stations (clients) to be bridges, so the MAC address of the WiFi station is expected to always be the same as the one of the actual sender/recipient of the frame at station side, so there is a single field for both in the standard wireless frame. So DHCP servers that correctly assign the IP address up to the client-id field in the DHCP message, rather than according to the source MAC address of the frame carrying that message, will assign IP addresses to all clients behind the hAP, and the hAP, if running in pseudobridge mode, will respond to ARP requests for all those addresses with its own MAC address and deliver the frames to the actual MAC address of the device connected to its Ethernet side depending on their destination IP address, but this will not work for non-IP traffic as the pseudobridge won't know any protocol field to map to a MAC address of the recipient. I haven't even ever tried how pseudobridge deals with IPv6 traffic.

With two wireless devices from the same vendor, you can use a bridge mode where the wireless frames carry all 4 MAC addresses separately, but as this frame format is not standardized, it is not compatible between different vendors supporting wireless bridging.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:38 pm

... how pseudobridge deals with IPv6 traffic.
It seems like it doesn't.