Community discussions

MikroTik App

andshort
just joined
Topic Author

Practical limit of simultaneous openvpn connections hap ac2

Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:04 pm

Hello all,
since hap ax2/3 is not readily available in my region (Greece) does anyone know if hap ac2 can support 55 OpenVPN connections (do not need high bandwidth, just 1GB/month spread out evenly)? Can the older CPU handle it? I know the license should theoretically support it, but I am not sure regarding CPU/RAM.

If not, can you suggest another mikrotik device?

Many thanks,

Andrew

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Practical limit of simultaneous openvpn connections hap ac2

Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:26 am

i think is better to try a bigger device like rb4011 or rb5009

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Practical limit of simultaneous openvpn connections hap ac2  [SOLVED]

Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:53 am

1GB/month gives average throughput of 3.3 kbps ... which is something any RB device would handle. The problem, though, is that most probably usage will be much more sporadic with high peak-to-average ratio. So when deciding whether certain hardware would handle the load, one has to dimension for "average peaks", both in terms of instantaneous total bandwidth and number of active connections. I don't know if ROS has some practical limit in terms of number of established OpenVPN connections, license level however does impose limits. hAP ac2 and hAP ax2 come with license level 4, which limits number of established OpenVPN connections to 200. hAP ax3, OTOH, comes with license level 6 which doesn't have any limit on number of OpenVPN connections. As to OpenVPN throughput (which is AFAIK not HW offloaded on any device), my estimation is that all mentioned devices (hAP ac2, hAP ax2 and hAP ax3) should be able to push a few tens of Mbps (probably quite less than 100Mbps though).

andshort
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Practical limit of simultaneous openvpn connections hap ac2

Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:18 am

1GB/month gives average throughput of 3.3 kbps ... which is something any RB device would handle. The problem, though, is that most probably usage will be much more sporadic with high peak-to-average ratio. So when deciding whether certain hardware would handle the load, one has to dimension for "average peaks", both in terms of instantaneous total bandwidth and number of active connections. I don't know if ROS has some practical limit in terms of number of established OpenVPN connections, license level however does impose limits. hAP ac2 and hAP ax2 come with license level 4, which limits number of established OpenVPN connections to 200. hAP ax3, OTOH, comes with license level 6 which doesn't have any limit on number of OpenVPN connections. As to OpenVPN throughput (which is AFAIK not HW offloaded on any device), my estimation is that all mentioned devices (hAP ac2, hAP ax2 and hAP ax3) should be able to push a few tens of Mbps (probably quite less than 100Mbps though).
Thank you for your answer. There are no peaks in bandwidth since there is only a cyclic polling of data from end devices. Therefore I am not concerned about throughput but mostly other factors such as ram consumption. I really like the hap ax2 which I have experienced with and has great value/money and a lot of ram. I also have experience with the hap ac2 but I am concerned about its hardware capabilities. I have no other experience with other mikrotik products, therefore I ask you guys.
I will try to see if I can source a hap ax2 or ax3