Community discussions

MikroTik App

autominus
just joined
Topic Author

The Dude and multi vendor devices

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:34 am

Hi,
Currently, I manage a network that uses equipment from many vendors. In my network works devices such companies as Cisco, Juniper, MikroTik and HP/Aruba.

Now, I looking an application that will allow me to monitoring and create diagram of the network topology.

Will the Dude work for me in a multi-vendor environment?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The Dude and multi vendor devices

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:44 pm

It depends on your requirements. See https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:T ... _v6/Probes, if that covers what you need, then probably yes. Just remember that Dude is currently not developed and there's no guarantee that it will change. So if it does all you need, fine. If not, you're out of luck.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:22 am

Hello! I will suggest Observium or LibreNMS, with an integration with PHP-Weathermap.
Sample of MAP

autominus
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:22 pm

Is there any difference between Dude for 7.6 and Dude for 6.48.6?

The Observium looks quite interesting.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:53 pm

Is there any difference between Dude for 7.6 and Dude for 6.48.6?
There are no differences I've seen between V6 and V7. In fact nothing has changed in years in the dude.

The main benefit of the dude is:
- runs on the router itself, so no extra hardware
- no agent required on other Mikrotik routers to full monitoring (e.g. you just need username/password, but no setup on monitored devices for dude to monitor)

All the UI and notification methods are extreme dated and clearly Mikrotik doesn't update it, so that the big downside. Certainly no web GUI either. And other limitations. But it does work well to monitor/record data from other Mikrotik devices well enough with no extra hardware/software (beyond install the dude package on one router).

But for "multi vendor devices", most NMS help you setup the right monitoring for the device. And well have docs to help. While Dude help with monitoring link speed on another vendor (e.g. via standard ethernet/etc MIBs) beyond that you're own your own to pick things to monitor using "custom probes".

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:07 pm

Certainly no web GUI either
No DUDE client Web GUI indeed. But quite some information is in Winbox under DUDE. In Winbox the MAPS are not shown, but the MAPS are shown in the Webfig interface of the DUDE host.
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:02 pm

MAPS are shown in the Webfig interface of the DUDE host.
5 years using the Dude & never noticed that. That actually be useful! That what happens when you don't use webfig I guess. Although the CLI being able to directly export SVG from the dude's db be more useful...