MikroTik App

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Last Mikrotik youtube video about Hairpin NAT

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I think that I finally got how Hairpin NAT works thanks to users like @sob and @anav especially, and a few articles about the same topic (Mk wiki and Gred Sowell's among many) which confirmed that I had got it right.
I also set it on my Mikrotik device and it works as expected.
Anyway, I watched the last Mikrotik youtube video about the Hairpin NAT, and I found the last point (n.4) a bit confusing.
What do you think about it?
Thanks

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Last Mikrotik youtube video about Hairpin NAT

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 pm

What are you writing about?
Do you expect that we know what "..the last Mikrotik youtube video about the Hairpin NAT.." means?
I even asked my professional "gues what the question was about" tool and I didn't receive any answer :)
ball.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:33 pm

What are you writing of?
Do you expect that we know what "..the last Mikrotik youtube video about the Hairpin NAT.." means?
I even asked my professional "gues what the question was about" tool and I didn't receive any answer :)
ball.PNG
Sorry, I thought it was quite clear.
This is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I5FywY6opQ

The part I found a bit confusing is:

".., and puts the original destination IP address of 10.0.0.3 into the source IP address field, and the original source IP address of 172.16.16.1 into the destination IP address field"

puts the original destination IP address of 10.0.0.3 into the source IP address field???
Should the original Destination IP be 172.16.16.1?

Kind of "lost in translation" or am I misinterpreting here?
Thanks

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:34 pm

It's a bit confusing and also wrong. Response packet from server will first have 10.0.0.3 (real server's address) as source and 10.0.0.1 (router's address) as destination. And after all NAT is undone, it will have source 172.16.16.1 (server's address as seen by client) and destination 10.0.0.2 (client).

We taught you well. :)

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:49 pm

Since I still consider myself a total noob (and I actually am) I first thought that I was missing something, so I wrote "confusing", but by reading and watching the video more times, I started thinking that there might be really something wrong with the text and the explanation in the video.

Thanks ;-)
Last edited by BartoszP on Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed excessive quotting of preceding post; be wise, quote smart.

Techsystem

Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:04 am

It's a bit confusing and also wrong. Response packet from server will first have 10.0.0.3 (real server's address) as source and 10.0.0.1 (router's address) as destination. And after all NAT is undone, it will have source 172.16.16.1 (server's address as seen by client) and destination 10.0.0.2 (client).

We taught you well. :)
for me the confusing statement was this "after all NAT is undone"
why that happen..? can you tell me how this smart small device deal with this rule..?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:50 am

Please don't post the same thing in different sections, you already have a topic about this